Nebie die question...

smallbutfierce

Question about dies. What dies should I get? I see 3 die sets, 2 dies sets, even competition sets with more. What is the difference? What factors into the decision to go with each type? I will be reloading .308 only, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Dustin

Question about dies. What dies should I get? I see 3 die sets, 2 dies sets, even competition sets with more. What is the difference? What factors into the decision to go with each type? I will be reloading .308 only, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Dustin
Dustin, I think you should get the best you can afford. I like the competition die sets but if you are loading for hunting I don't think you need them. I shoot competition but also use them for my hunting loads. On some of my hunting rounds in other calibers I use just the standard dies with a neck sizer,full length sizer, Seater die and get very accurate loads. It's like a rifle to me, Most of the time the more you pay the better your accuracy is, but not all the time. I'll quit talking in circles but the best advice I can offer is buy the best you can afford and if you don't like them you can always sell them and get something else. Good Luck to you and hope you enjoy the reloading..

Unless you have a top grade custom barrel and a quality high power scope on your .308 then a basic two die rifle set is all you will really need for a very long time, if ever. And, given that all dies are made to meet standard SAAMI ammo specifications - and that's a range, not a specfic measurement point - there's as much average variation between dies of the same maker as there is between makers. About the only thing the price of anything tells you is it's cost.

I suggest you consider a Lee Delux set to start with. It's a three die set that includes a standard FL sizer, a very good seater and an excellant neck sizer plus a "free" shell holder that others charge you for. That set will let you play with neck sizing when you want to without paying exhorbatant cost for "competition" dies you may find to do you no good anyway.

The limiting factor to the quality of ammo you can make with any die set is mostly your own skill. It will take you a long time to get better than standard dies - after all, they ARE pretty good. Then, IF you ever get the itch to buy more costly dies you won't have spent excessively on your first set and you'll have the personal experience to wisely select what you want to try.

Thanks guys! I figured that Lee set would be appropriate. As with all things, I am sure my needs with evolve, and then I will spend more if needed.

Thanks,

Dustin

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.