NEAR; rail or alphamount?

matemike

I have a Weatherby Mark V in .338-378
I'll be getting a brake tuned for it and trigger job this month. I'll be load developing and using it at the 300 and 600 yard bench this summer. It will be my Alaskan moose gun and hopefully I'll make some elk hunts in the future.

As far as a scope, I'm torn between a NF NXS 3.5-15X50mm, Swarovski Z6 3-18X50 or 2.5-15X56. I like the Swarovski's, but they are pretty plain reticles. I like the NF because I like the MOAR reticle, but not a fan of the open turrets on a hunting rifle.

Anyways, while I obsess about the glass over the next couple months, I want to at least invest in the mount/base for a 30mm tube.

I've decided to go with a Richard Near product. 20 MOA.

What are the benefits of having rings mounted to a rail over having one of his Alphamount sets? I like the simplicity and strength the alphamount seems to have, but I like the diversity of options that a rail gives. I doubt I'd go wrong with either (that goes for my scope choices too), just wondering if there are any words from the wise on here. Usually there are.

Thanks folks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.