nc star scopes

jeff 300

have any of you used a ncstar scope? a friend of mine wants to put one on a 30-06 for deer hunting? i think there junk. what would be a GOOD low priced 150.00-250.00 mil dot scope

Id look at millet before any others in that price range. I boresighted several ncstar scoped rifles for our gunsmith over the years I worked at "the range"... and we had a joke where by when one came in (usually intended to be mounted to a 30-06semi remington) we did our version of a commercial... we would hold up the scope, and in our best price is right/vanna white impression, wave our hand beneath it while saying "somewhere between a pile of **** and the ground... theres ncstar..." On a 22 for casual plinking... sure. For anything even remotely serious, there are much better choices to be made.

UTG , or leapers accessories are used across the board. Their scopes would appear to be cheap. Yesterday I took the trial plunge to check them out after learning that though they are primarily used for air rifle competition, air rifled have stronger recoil than rim fire. That being said, 20 degrees, shiverring cold, snowing and short on time, affer getting close to zero, 12 rounds semi rapid fire within 2 1/2 inches @ 100 yards. 4x16x44. Need to put more rounds through it and will follow up when I have a little more time.

I've heard some fairly negative reviews with NcStar products, which has steered me away from them for years now. It could have been hearsay, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I've bought a couple of $100 Simmons scopes that have lasted for 15+ years on magnum rifles, but that was more or less a miracle, IMO.

I think the thing about scope pricing and quality is this......The scope technology of yesterday that would have cost over $1K, is $300 technology today. Therefore, alot of these $300-500 scopes are very high quality for the money, b/c we have evolved with the standard. We grew up hunting with scopes you would use for a pry-bar if you had to, b/c the glass looked incredible back then, but looks like cloudy floating junkiness now. We have $350 scopes that are as clear as the old $1000 Nikons (I know this for a fact...I had a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44). For example, my Konus M-30. It is a $350 scope with glass that is clearer than the old Leupold VX-III's. I have had both. The old VX-III was clear as a bell back in the day, and cost $600.....But now you would buy a $300 Millett over that b/c the lens coating and clarity and crispness of the image are better than the old Leupold.

So, IMO, just b/c something costs less money, and isn't 110% quality, doesn't mean it's a cheap ***.

I shot that insane 24-shot group out of my 5R .308 with that cheap Konus. After that, I have been sold on them. I will not hesitate to buy another one.

Is it a Nightforce? Definitely not. But will it hold its own compared with most $1k scopes....I like to think so, just b/c I have seen how clear and crisp the image is, and how well the functions on it work. It ain't perfect, but for someone on a budget, it is the best long-range scope I've ever shot behind.

I do concur.
After making sure we had more firearms and ammo to hunt and defend my family, I'm now setting up each of my guns for different applications on a budget. Took my Burris and Bushnell 3x9's off of my AR's after much research and went out on a limb. 4x16x44 accushot aka UTG 159.99 on Olympic AR, 4x16x40 centerpoint on a bushmaster(this was a scary 79.00 at Walmart, figured it could always go down to an air rifle or .22 if it didn't perform) . Put a ncstar 3x9, cost 160.00 with red dot up top on ruger 10/22. After a lengthy interruption by an old timer I was running out of time sighting in and wanted to at least be close to zero from 50 yards before I left. I always start at 50, then move to 100 with bipod and dial in to tack driving. Keep in mind, been standing still shiverring cold with old timer for a half hour, late for parent teacher conference, etc. Accushot semi rapid fire 12 rounds within 2 1/2 inch GRP. Center point 16 rounds within 3 1/2 inch GRP. Ncstar, 1 shot high, adjust, 1 shot closer, adjust, 1 shot 1/4 inch from perfect. Packed gear and left . Will mount bipods and go back for 100 yard zero. I think I'll be pleased. My brother recently got a ncstar that was rattling parts upon arrival, sent it back. I think you're spot on with your glass observations. One of the accushot scopes I looked at I in the store seemed to have a seal issue with SWAT Side Wheel Adjustable Turret. I looked at 10 others that seemed fine. I've been researching " affordable" scopes for a month pretty intensively. I think there will be an occasional one that missed QC at factory, but all seem to return fast and easy. These companies are trying to make a name for themselves. I've seen more great customer service with UTG accushot than anyone else. I'll go back for my 100 yard session and dial them in and post what I find then. At that point, we try the 24 power on 7mm and 300 win mag.
Happy shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.