Nascar watching, treehugging liberal, Kerry voting, redneck

Buffalobob

Here are some photo's of a project I worked on for about ten years before I could get all the parties and the money together to get it to move forward. Most of the stuff I do is very slow moving and it is only every once in a while that one actually has any satisfaction of doing something good.

This is Pierce Mill Dam on Rock Creek right now. It is dewatered with the flow diverted over to the left side so we can install a Denil fish ladder on the right side. This removes the last fish migration blockage on Rock Creek. And opens up about twenty miles of spawning ground for white perch, river herring and maybe even shad. We shall see..

If you ever come to DC, leave your guns at home but bring your fishing gear. You would not believe how good the fishing is in the springtime.

317185.jpg

317186.jpg

Nice project. Its good to be able to see a decent plan/project come to completion. I once worked on the Superconducting Super Collider /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

From living below what used to be the Teton dam I'd suggest doing something about the bottom of the dam.

Out here there is pressure to remove/breach the dams on the snake river. What would be wrong with breaching that one? Nothing more than an innocent question. Nothing else intended.

BTW, the subject seems to be an impossibility /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BB,
i'm a little confused about that title. i've always thought the nascar and rednecks to be on one side (the good) and the treehugging,liberal Kerry voters on the other.

I'm confused. Topic title makes no sense, (please edit) runs contrary to the laws of nature.

Last nite I read this post, it made me sick & I promptly
went to bed.
For the first time in a while, my MOJO clearly wasn't working!
Today, I feel better better, but still somewhat tramatized!
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just as little update on this project. Very nice article this morning on the front page of the Washington Post with a photo.

Rock Creek Fish Head Home Again
With Obstacles Removed, Herring Return to Spawning Area
By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 31, 2007; Page A01

Bill Yeaman spotted the first ones Monday: a school of six silver-sided alewives, swimming in place in the greenish current of Rock Creek.
The fish seemed unexcited. The man was electrified.

"It was just -- boy, I don't know -- it's hard to explain the feeling. But, just, jubilation," said Yeaman, a National Park Service ranger. "That all the hard work that all these people were doing had paid off."
Yeaman was at Peirce Mill in Northwest Washington, where since 1904 a dam had blocked the path of fish returning from the Atlantic Ocean to spawn. But over the past three years, environmental engineers found ways around, over or through eight obstacles that prevented fish from passing.
This week, when Yeaman spotted those fish on the other side of the dam -- which can now be circumvented via a fish "ladder" -- it was a signal that one of Washington's oldest spring rituals was on its way back.
"I was witnessing something that hadn't happened for over 100 years," Yeaman said yesterday, standing at the side of the creek. "That's pretty amazing."
For centuries, this region's spring was punctuated by a series of massive migrations of fish -- shad, herring, striped bass -- that crowded the area's rivers and provided a bounty for local fishermen. Even in shallow Rock Creek, biologists say, hundreds of thousands of alewives and blueback herring, a nearly identical cousin, swam upstream in an attempt to return to their birthplaces.
But then, people blocked the way. They built fords, using rocks or concrete to make the creek bottom passable for vehicles. They laid sewer pipes from bank to bank. And they built the Peirce Mill dam, as the tale is told, to provide some scenery for customers at a tearoom in the old mill building.
The waterfall created by the dam is about 12 feet tall -- beyond insurmountable for a foot-long alewife. After a journey from the ocean, through the Chesapeake Bay, up the Potomac River and about 4.5 miles up the creek, the fish would leave their eggs next to the dam.
Upstream, miles of suitable spawning ground were permanently off-limits.
"That was the ultimate obstacle," said Jon Siemien, the head of fisheries research for the D.C. Department of the Environment.
For years, scientists had been looking for a way to remove or circumvent these blockages. Then, finally, help came from an unlikely source: the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Project. That $2.4 billion construction project included some Potomac River dredging, which damaged habitat there. As a kind of environmental community service, the project was required to help improve habitats in Potomac tributaries.
In 2003, bridge project engineers started to remove Rock Creek's fish barriers. To allow the fish to pass over a still-used sewage pipe, for instance, the engineers arranged large rocks in the stream, creating what looks like a natural set of rapids. It's really a carefully planned flow constrictor, designed to make the water pool and rise until it covers the old barrier.
"It's not like we just throw some rocks in a stream and hope for the best," Patrick DiNicola, environmental mitigation manager for the bridge project, said yesterday as he looked at the stream -- babbling precisely as it should have been. "But that's what it looks like."
At Peirce Mill, however, going over wasn't an option. Planners had to go around, building a concrete fish ladder that allows the migratory fish to climb one tier at a time. The ladder is a series of small steps, each with a spot for fish to rest before going on to the next.
This was the last piece of the $2 million-plus restoration. About 28 new miles of the stream are now open, extending all the way to Lake Needwood near Rockville.
D.C. scientists had been preparing for this moment for several years, capturing alewives and blueback herring below Peirce Mill, and bringing them upstream in a truck. The hope was that their offspring would seek to return to the same spot.
For now, it seems that not all the fish have gotten the message. Yesterday, D.C. biologists were using an electroshocking machine to capture fish below the dam and found that many had already spawned, without exploring further upstream. The alewives' spawning ritual usually involves a female scattering her eggs on the creek bottom, while a gaggle of males follow behind trying to fertilize them.
"They're all spawned out," said fisheries biologist Luke Lyon, holding a foot-long female. She was now as skinny as the males, Lyon said. If she were still carrying eggs, "she'd have a big fat belly."
But scientists said perhaps 100 alewives have actually made the journey up the fish ladder so far. Scientists say they expect a few hundred more, plus blueback herring, when their run begins in early May. They expect that the populations of the two fish will grow in the coming years, because they now have more good habitat in which to spawn. They might also provide targets for area fishermen -- although in the District, fishing for these species is prohibited between Porter Street NW and the Maryland line.
After this year's spawn, the scientists said, many of the adult alewives will head downstream again, returning to the ocean. After a few days, their eggs will hatch into larvae that, if they're not eaten along the way, will grow up, leave and someday return.
"They'll become imprinted to the area," Siemien said. "And then, in another two to four years, these spawn will come back here and make the same trip."
Staff writer John Kelly and staff researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.

PH2007033002610.jpg

Truck race is on Fox at 3:00 today. Hope Travis Kvapil can get a Roush Ford to the front./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't believe I read the whole thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As I read, I was picturing in my mind the salmon runs through Salmon during the 50s/early60s. Wall to wall fish going through town.

Why don't you move your touche out here and make a bit of difference. Heck, I'd even give a hand. However, I would have to provide a physical/armed barrier between you and any polling place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fish restoration

Roy

Here is a picture of a hickory shad I caught Friday morning. You can see the shad dart in his mouth (picture was taken with a disposable camera).

When I came to DC in 1981, it had been 30 years since shad and striped bass had spawned in DC waters which is the upper end of the tidal Potomac. No one would believe me when I said that the most likely cause was the massive amounts of chlorine used to disinfect all of the sewage from the sewage plants that serve the nearly 5 million people here before it is discharded to the river. The shad and striped bass spawning runs had ended about 3-5 years after the disinection of sewage with chlorine was begun.

However, within two or three years of implementing a process called dechlorintaion which nuetralizes the active disinfecting power of the chlorine by changing it to chloride before it is discharged to the river, the fish were back after being gone for nearly half a century. Just coincidence I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last year three endangered strugeon came up the river but nobody was able to determine if they successfully spawned.

I would love to have an additional quarter of a century to work on another river like the Salmon.

I think the stuff you do with the farmers will in the end pay off for the fish. How long will depend upon soil characteristics and how much phophorus and nitorgen is loaded into the subsoil and how many years it will take to clean out the subsoil. Experiments in Europe have shown that it can be a decades long process. In the Potomac basin the average travel time of the deeper ground water is about 20 years, so when a farmer reduces the amount of fertilizer he applies it takes 20 years for the cleaner water to finally seep into the river.

Callaer-R1-006-1A.jpg

Re: Fish restoration

I'm with Roy. I hope the project involve fixing the scour below the dam. I do notice some sacks layed in the hole. Environmental clearances for projects like this must be a nightmare. Just getting the OK to fixing scour below a bridge pier can be trouble.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.