narrowed down the choice

G

with extra funding...I now have to choose between the following

Leupold Mark 4 Tactical with duplex 4.5-14 Or the Leupold Long range with target knobs 6.5-20 Fine duplex of varmit reticle...I also might choose the 8.5-25 with varmit reticle or fine duplex. All with 50 mm objective

Please give me your input...It's gonna set on a 22-250 rem 700 varmiter.

Thanks in advance

Joe

I would go with a mildot reticle, even if you are not going to use it for range determination you will get five hold-off points that make long shots more doable.
For field shooting, we do not go over 15-16 since mirage becomes too significant. I like 12-15 power settings for varminting, everyone makes their own choices tho.
Those are all nice scopes - for that rifle and caliber, I would personally go with the 4-14 and not look back.

I got the 6.5x20x50LRT with mil-dot just before leupold made the change over on the new series scopes. I think the 8.5x25 you mentioned would also be a good choice. As to mirage you can always go down it power. I'd get maybe alittle more scope power than you need at the present time so if decide maybe to say get a another rifle. Mine started on a 22-250AI and is now on a 6.5x284 and for the little extra I should have gotten the 8.5x25x50LRT. Good luck.

...agree with Ian M... 12 - 15 is definitely the comfort zone in bright conditions... also agree with roper to go with higher power variable, you can dial down in mirage and dial up when you have the opportunity to set up nicely on a shot... I have all of the scopes you mentioned, for the 22-250 you can't go wrong with any of them... have fun

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.