Namibia beach fishing - the return

pvanwyk

Last years trip to Namibia for beach fishing for Bronze whaler sharks was excellent in the number of pick ups we had, but dissapointing with regards the number we landed. In 2007 we hooked 18 sharks and landed one of just over 176lbs.

2008 saw us return again with heavier tackle ready to take on these awesome sharks. Unfortunately the weather wasn't quite as good as the previous year, but we managed to land a couple more. We hooked 5 sharks and managed to land 3 - a beast of 246lbs, one of 121 lbs, and one of 170lbs.

Modus operandi is to target smaller smooth hound (beween 5 and 7lb) sharks early in the morning which we use to chum for the bigger boys. I'd heard of it, but saw it with my own eyes, when a 12ft bronze whaler shark came surfing through on a big wave onto the beach to grab the staked chum bait in water of less than 1/2ft, then rolled back into the ocean.

I've attached a picture of my girlfriend with the 170lb shark which she caught on only her 3rd fishing trip. Took her 1hr and 10min from the beach with 30lb tackle.

hunting_2007_188.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts