n-150 vs varget

apapro

Hey guys need some feed back on Viht n-150 and the .308. I will be shooting 185 gr. Bergers and scenars.

What are your most accurate recipes and those that have used varget what where the differences between the two?

thanks in advance

Later
apapro

Hey guys need some feed back on Viht n-150 and the .308. I will be shooting 185 gr. Bergers and scenars.

What are your most accurate recipes and those that have used varget what where the differences between the two?

thanks in advance

Later
apapro

A big difference between VARGET and N150 is burn rate. VARGET is faster buring.

Cant vouch for the N150 but N135 with 155's and N540 with 178's and 190's has performed beyond my wildest dreams. I demand alot from a 308 and the N540 and 135 (with proportionate bullet weights) have exceeded my expectations. Again I cant vouch for N150 but the accuacy nodes of the 2 Viht powders I am working with is huge where as VARGET seems narrow.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/vihtivuori-n-540-unbelievable-results-42942/

N150 is a bit slower than Varget and slower than N540. In a factory barrel, you can (MOST of the time) get away with 44.0 of VARGET as a max load. If it were me, I would start at 40.0 and work up in 0.5 increments.

Are you using a factory barrel or custom? Most of the time you will use a bit less powder in a custom barrel than a factory stick at the same velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.