My turn with 215 Bergers in a 300RUM

I got a little time in at the range today and went right out to 690 yards. Hit a bit low, finally settled on 10.25 moa elevation and was still about 2.5 inches low. Group wasn't too bad , between 4 and 5 inches, but it was a little hard for me to see the one inch orange dot with only 20x. After running the numbers, it looks like my actual velocity is right around 3100. I will try and duplicate again tomorrow.

I played with drop charts again yesterday and set up both of my chronographs. The older pro chrono showed a consistant 100 fps slower than the newer Chrony F-1 with the PC showing 3075 and the Chrony showing 3163. It was an overcast day also. I verified the zero at 100 as being 1.0 inches high, dialed the turret 11.25 moa and took two shots at 690. Both were about the same height, but the wind grabbed one and drifted it about 16 inches. Both shots are still about 3 inches low, and it looks like .25 moa up will get me on track. Adjusting the velocity to match the drop shows the velocity to be closer to 3000 now assuming that Bergers b.c. is accurate.

I also shot my 338 rum through the two chronographs while they were set up to see what they showed with my 300 gr Bergers. The pro chrono showed 2780 and the Chrony showed 2870. This load tracks very well out to 1250 using 2830. Go figure.

The 215's seem to be grouping very well if I do my part. I think my 300 needs a new jewel trigger to match the one on my 338 so the release pressure is the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.