My surprise shooting the Thompson

357lover

My age is catching up to me and shouldering a 12 pound plus gun is not easy anymore.
So, giving that it's due consideration, I decided to remove the front strap swivel and mount a 1 1/2" Weaver rail in its place. I'm thinking I can shoot it from the hip and the laser will enable a better aim. I ordered a large green laser. (about the size of a small flashlight) and set about to zero it in a 50'. Time finally arrived to take it to the indoor range for a try out. When I opened the factory case everyone stopped shooting and gathered around. I think every man there wanted to hold it. I loaded it after setting up a target. The laser was dead on and I put about 10 holes in the target. At this time I handed it to a stout young man and he turned the laser off and shouldered it. He tore the rest of the center out of the target. When he handed it back to me he was grinning from ear to ear. Several others took their turn and expressed how great it shot. It noticably had no recoil from the 230 grain 45's. I'm anxious to take it to the outdoor range, but the NC weather is steaming hot. OH, by the way, The manufaturer is selling hat pins of the Thompson and I ordered one. It will fit good beside my life NRA pin!

@ mtwarych: The range officer had a video of himself shooting a fully auto Thompson. He said that was the most fun he got out of shooting 50 reounds of 45 in just a few secoonds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.