My start into LR Handguns...a little story...part 1

Dan B

I've been playing single shot handguns for about 10 years. In that time I played w/ a lot of straight wall cartridges in Contender then stepped up to bottleneck rounds. When I did this...killing a g-hog at anything over 100yds was awesome! Then I came upon an ultra accurate .222 Super 14 barrel and topped it with a Burris 3-12x32 scope w/ the Ballistic Plex reticle. Until this I was using a 10" .22 Hornet w/ 4X Tasco.

Not long after finding the .222 liked a dose of IMR4198 and 50gr NBT I was knocking over bowling pins at 300yds very consistently. Then one summer evening I was perched over my favorite g-hog field and popped my first "official" LR varmint at 308yds.

The field...

field.JPG

The varmint...

308yd%20hog%20and%20TC%20222%20Rem.JPG

After that I was really getting the bite for longer range shooting and my local club extended their range from 300yds to 500yds. Then I quickly discovered that the current Contender platform was falling short of what I wanted to do...

...to be continued...

Come on you can't shoot long range with a handgun
DSCF2687.jpg

That reminds me I have to get that sent into VHA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Contender in 22-204 AI Barrel made by OTT. The gun wasn't mine, just borrowed it for a few shots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good story Dan. Looking forward to part II. Mike, that's quite a nice rig that Ray's got, ain't it?? We were supposed to go out in Oct. to try and break 1000 yds. with his rig, but weather intervened. It's kinda fun going out with these guys now and just spotting for them with the Big Eyes. It makes spotting so comfortable. Nuthin' quite like 'em.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.