My Spring Gobbler 08'

Kevin Cram

Well after not being able to hunt the first couple of days because of work, I finally made it out last Wednesday. By 9 am I was on my 4th bird of the morning and things just managed to work out. 24 lbs. 9" beard. 7/8" spurs.

springturkey08.jpg

a spring bird that weighs 24#, that's a whopper! congrats. is the season still in? i had 15 gobblers in the field next to my house yesterday morning. every one had a 5 o'clock shadow. not a mature bird in the bunch.

For an early season bird in my area that large but not uncommon. I shot one in 2006 that had a 10 1/2" beard and a 5" beard 1" spurs and weighed 27lbs. That one I had mounted, but it still is at the taxidermist. I just called last week and gave him hell for taking 2 years. He's a friend of mine who used to do alot of the mounts for Dick Cabela in Reno NV and is doing taxidermy part time and doing it for a very good price, so I'll let him take his time.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts