My Sons first Buck...Texas Hill Country

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Maq Attaq, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Maq Attaq

Maq Attaq Well-Known Member

We were fortunate to have been invited to hunt a private ranch in the Texas Hill Country in Uvalde County. Daniel and I left last Wed. afternoon and flew to San Antonio and met up with an old high school buddy of mine. We drove out to the ranch the next day and when we got there, we went straight to the range to make sure the rifles made the plane flight ok, Note to self...ALWAYS SHOOT THE RIFLES AFTER THE COME OFF A PLANE!!!. Daniels rifle was 4" low and 6" left when he sent the first two rounds down range. We drove the ranch for a bit, alot of hills, canyons and draws. There is an established population of Sika Deer, Audad, Fallow and Axis deer in that area. This is all low fence. Really neat place to be.
    We went out to the blind around 4:00. The deer began to move shortly after that. A couple of does came in and ate for a bit. A small 7 point came out and kept us entertained. Around 5:15, Daniel spots another deer coming in from the left and whispers to me, "Buck, Buck". I had a blind spot from where I was sitting and couldnt see it. As I begin to move slowly towrds him to get a glimpse, I hear "Dad, dont move...he's coming in"...I actually turned my head around and looked at him and he was just glued to the buck. The buck finally made his way in, Daniel had to wait till the does cleared to get the shot in....He connected perfectly with his .243 @ 97 yds. 100 gr Hornady BTSP. The buck buckled, ran about 20 yds, stood there for a coulple of seconds, wobbled left, wobbled right and dropped. I dont know who was more excited, him or me. Great memories...I am really proud of the little man.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Post Shot Interview

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uyO67Iz0ao]12 7 12 Denada Ranch 006 - YouTube[/ame]

2. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Terrific! I'm betting he'll be ready to go again without much coaxing.

3. BoydHeaton

BoydHeaton Well-Known Member

Congrats to you guys.nice buck

4. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Awesome buck, congrats to your son as well as you dad.

Good job,
    Nathan

5. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

Way to go Daniel, looks like you put a great shot on him. Dad I think he's hooked.

6. TXshooter

TXshooter Well-Known Member

Great first buck! Especially for the hill country. It sounds like y'all were less than an hour from the ranch I live on. Beautiful country

7. Maq Attaq

Maq Attaq Well-Known Member

Thanks all....very beautiful country around there for sure

8. gator1954

gator1954 Active Member

Congrats to Daniel on his first buck, great shot. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

9. hunterbob

hunterbob Well-Known Member

WOW ! The boy can shoot good, tell him nice shot, and nice buck. Thanks for the pictures, its really great to see a youngster with his face lit up like that, hunting with his Dad, and a huge Buck.:) You are Blessed