My scope is a little off

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by SquirrelNuts, Jan 31, 2009.

1. SquirrelNuts

SquirrelNuts Active Member

Hey guys,

I just got back from the range and discovered that my scope has "twisted" a little counter clockwise.

When dialed in at 100 yards I was dead center verticle. When I dialed up my scope about 44 clicks, I was 11" high but about 1 3/4 to the right.

My scope bases and gun were level while shooting because I have an anticant level.

My question is: should I tweak the scope mount or just adjust for it?

I haven't ever mounted a scope before so I'm hesitant to loosen it and screw it up worse.

Any thougts?

Thanks

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

3. SquirrelNuts

7MM,

That perpendicular test is exactly what I did. Should I go ahead and try to correct it?

It seems that 1 3/4 inches drift at 100 yards from zero to 44 clicks would be a lot out at 700 - 800 yards.

Thanks

4. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

You're right, it would be way off at longer ranges. You need to adjust it so it's right.

5. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

just remember, your 100 yd zero will be off when you rotate that scope. you'll have to shoot a group at 100, draw a verticle line with a level, crank up the scope and shoot another group to see if it's tracking vertically. then re-zero at 100 when you get it tracking straight.

6. SquirrelNuts

Thanks guys,

I rotated the scope just a hair and will go re-zero tomorrow and check it again.

I have to be on for my barbary sheep hunt coming up!

7. sxwatson

sxwatson Well-Known Member

This is a link to something written by Paul Coburn aka Catshooter. This is THE best write up on understanding how a scope works and getting it setup properly on your rifle, in my opinion.

Scope level -

What you are experiencing is called crabbing. Some scopes don't track in a perfectly straight line and the scope has to be tweaked slightly to account for this. I had to do this with my Bushnell 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 scope.