Remington 700 SPS
Mueller 4-16x50 Sport Dot
Illuminated Reticle
Leupold Rings and Mount
Harris Bipod
Laminated Black Cherry and Walnut Custom Stock
Empty Weight 12.25 pounds

Last edited:
Nice stock, but what is the purpose of the low (or no) comb - it looks like it would be a problem to get proper cheek weld ?

My Wife bought this rifle for me as a surprise. I had been shopping for a weapon to replace the Browning MK V that I had sold. I am moving away from the auto loaders that toss my brass off into the bushes. I have a couple Ruger #1's and wanted a weapon with multi shot capabilities. I kept a detailed record of the weapons that I liked on the Computer. While I was traveling My wife found this one and bought it for me.

I had heard so much bad press on the synthetic stock that came on the SPS. I had done follow up research on replacement stocks and the cost would have to be added to the total cost of the gun. Her dad is a furniture maker, so I bought a $30 chunk of Kiln Dried Black Cherry. He had some Walnut from a gun rack project some time back. He and I talked about laminated stocks and we looked at the Ruger #1bvss I have in .204 Ruger. Laminated stock, Stainless action.

I sent him the rifle and told him let your imagination run wild. This is the first stock he has ever made. He put about 90 hours total into the entire project and came up with the work of art you see.

5 Layers of 3/8 Lamination with the Cherry in the middle and two Walnut followed by two layers of the Cherry. The lamination agent is polyurethane glue. It is finished with 5 to 7 coats of hand rubbed, boiled linseed oil for a semi gloss finish that i will continue to anoint for a couple of years. It has a very nice tactile, non slip feel to it, and should just shrug off water.

I got to shoot it this morning and was very pleased with the first 3 strings of 3 shots each all touching as i dialed in the scope. I will scan the targets tomorrow and post them here.

At a touch over 12 pounds it will not be a mountain patrol/safari rifle but will surely provide me with years of solid service.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.