My Recent Panda Hunt

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by efw, Jul 16, 2011.

1. efw

efw Well-Known Member

I know that there are a lot of do-gooders stateside who might object to such a trophy, but I've never seen a mount and thought it'd make for a unique hunt/trophy. I wondered what cartridge one should choose? They look harmless and cute, but won't they gnaw your arm off like a twig of bamboo if you wound one?

Here are the three cartridges I considered candidates. The 6-250 w/ a 75 gr HP in a very accurate rifle for head shots, the 30-06 loaded with a 147 gr FMJ for penetration, or the 257 Roy with a 117 gr Interlock for a "middle of the road" approach and for longer shots.

[​IMG]
    Which would you choose?

When I reached the hunting grounds, I found the prey to be ellusive but self-assured. I guess that a black belt & recieving int'l protection as endangered can lead to that. Talk about unintended consequences for the do-gooders:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even so, it took a while before I was able to catch the massive bear in a vulnerable spot, cocky as ever even with a 6mm hole through his abdomen:

[​IMG]

We carefully chose our shots, documenting the whole ordeal even in spite of the peril we knew we faced if anyone found out we were chasing such a majestic and mysterious creature. Shot opportunities were few and far between, but carefully placed:

[​IMG]

Even after several hits, he remained defiant. I obviously chose the wrong rifle for this; in the legendary words of Jewells Winfield, "we need shotguns for this...":

[​IMG]

Finally, after an extended search for a wounded animal we knew had the cunning to watch his backtrail and karate chop us at any moment, my opponent lay vanquished:

[​IMG]

Anyone have insight into ways around do-gooder importation rules? I'd like a full body mount to be the central point of interest in my trophy room!

2. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

Good story and pictures to boot. What is the Taxidermist going to charge for a full mount?

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Holy cow you shot Po, I can't let my daughter see this it may ruin her for ever. Skedoosh :D

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Man, you're having way too much fun. :)

That was good ... thanks for sharing.

Ed

5. rcdinaz

rcdinaz Well-Known Member

Very entertaining!

That is such a great ideas my kids would have blast doing this.

6. efw

efw Well-Known Member

Oh heck yeah the kids love it... grown-up kids as well as smaller ones ;) !!

My 8 yo and I did a mastadon hunt a year or so ago:

[​IMG]

7. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

That is hilarious. Rug or life size mount?