My Pre-64 win mod 70 300 winmag

streamlinetyr

I bought this rifle a few years ago I am getting around to figuring out what to do with it. I want a rifle that I can dial in to different ranges and eventually get into long range hunting now that I have more time. I do not reload nor do I have the time or area to do it.

Specs:
Hart barrel
Timney trigger
Vortex variable scope
Wood benchrest stock bedded
4 port brake

I would like to get a McMillian or a B&C synthetic stock for it and cerakote the metal, also I don't like the scope I would like to get a different one with mildots and target turrets like a leopold or something similar.

My questions are:

Will this mess up the lapping on the bolt?

since the wooden stock is bedded should I just save my money and let the wooden stock get beat up?

I realize this is a lot of questions but I hope to make this a great build and do right by the action and barrel.

THanks

Attachments

• DSCF0651.jpg
    DSCF0651.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 109
Have you shot the rifle? Kind of sounds like maybe not. It looks like it has some potential as it is. Go shoot it and see if it groups. If it does shoot it until the barrel goes and then think about doing something else with it.

Have you shot the rifle? Kind of sounds like maybe not. It looks like it has some potential as it is. Go shoot it and see if it groups. If it does shoot it until the barrel goes and then think about doing something else with it.

Looks to be set up with some deliberation. If it shoots, and you don't like the scope replace it. Scopes are some of the quicker items to acquire.

Stocks can be back ordered for significant periods. If it doesn't shoot the stock/bedding may certainly be at issue, but first step is shoot it with a few brands of ammo, or loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts