My Package, opinions please

ScO...

You might give a second thought to the Burris 8x32... it has a total of less than 39-ish moa of elevation... and the 30mm Signature rings have only 10moa inserts, so you could wind up loosing almost 25% of your elevation, and for long range, you will need all you can get.

Give some thought to the MK4-M1 scopes, either 10x or 16x, with 90moa and 140moa respectively.
At long range, the 1/8 moa adjustments are not as useful as they look in the catalogues, and they do eat up the markings on the rings.

Also, consider the Barrett adjustable rings. They have a continuous range of over 120 moa that's in the rings... I used a pair on a AR-50 BMG, with a B&L 10x Tac, and the scope's 100yd zero is 2-moa off the bottom, and 145 moa of "up" is available for long range.

As to the muzzle break... pretty is, as pretty does. It may look dog ugly in the gun store, but on the range, you will fall on your knees, and prase it... I have shot my AR-50BMG over 150 rounds, from prone, in one afternoon, and had no soreness... they work better than anything else on the market.

CatShooter.

I have a Sako TRG 42 in .338 lapua. I have an 8-32X56 Nightfors NXS. I guarentee you won't be disappointed. You just can't beat the laser etched reticle and illumination system. It's tough and will live forever. I also have a 5.5-22X56 on my 22-250 Benchrest/Varmint rifle.

I suggest you contact Bill Shehane (champion benchrester and rifle builder) who sells them. Nightforce strictly regulates prices and they can not be sold below a certain price. Bill beats everyone's price by offering "free shipping" for the minimum price:

Call Him on 1-704-824-7511 or [email protected]

His website is www.scopeusout.com

Ok, my rifle is still backordered from Armalite but at least they are now advertising the rifle on it's own web-site.
(supposedly ready in September, we will see.)

Lapua ammo prices have dropped $20 since my first posted message. $64 a box of 20.

I have seen some good prices on Nightforce and it seems like I will purchase one at about the same time I get my rifle along with all related reloading gear and accessories. ($2500 package for all...)

will keep ya'll updated... I am getting started in IDPA also, I am thinking about entering some Benchrest matches with the .338 but am hesitant since I must remove the recoil brake...

Went to the gun show today and saw a 300 Laupa didn't know that there was one maybe you can get an extra barrel a have a two caliber gun!

Go with the BR model NF (1/8 min) not the NXS (1/4 min). Keep an eye out on Benchrestcental.com and xtremeaccuracy.com. Both have classified sections also look at D&B supply (Bill Shehanes site) and he has swap and shop area on BR under cleaning supplies. I picked up NF 8-32 for $650 couple months ago. Saw 2 NF 8-32s listted recently. Also if you are Hunter Ed instructor, Leupold has big discount program under distributor for scopes for instructors. also just saw a 338 Yogi built on BAT action by Tooley on guntraders with NF scope price now was at $1600.

Also if you are within driving distance of western NC to to the 1000 yard nationals on labor day and shoot in any class. Last year when VA hosted match we gave 2-3 NFs away as door prizes along with thousands of $ of other prizes, powder, reamer certificates, stocks, other scopes etc. You will find used Heavy guns for sale, that are already built and all you have to do is rechamber. There is one now with custom 2" sleeved rem action, new 30" Spencer barrel, 1-10 twist with NF on it in 300 WSM for in mid $2000 now.

"Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement" did a review awhile back... it was more of an introduction to the rifle rather than an accuracy test. Being that this rifle is pretty much backordered when they do start shipping, it might be awhile before someone else comes out with a accuracy review.

Armalite says that they start shipping "mid-September". I have my fingers crossed...

shocked.gif
We have tried for three years to pick up the NightForce* line of rifle scopes. They will not sell to us; in our opinion, it is because some of their dealers are worried that we will discount the scopes. We think that competition is good and is the American way. We have been told that their authorized dealers are cut off if they do not obey pricing policies. In our opinion, this is "price fixing".
We buy NightForce* from several different dealers all over the U.S. and can still sell them to you for the prices below. Think how much you could save if we were direct with NightForce* and we could sell them for whatever we wanted to. You don't pay sticker when you go to buy a new car, so don't pay full retail for a NightForce* either. Although we pride ourselves in stocking everything we advertise it is very difficult to get Nightforce NXS scopes and we may not have a model in stock that we advertise, but we would rather still list it with its price as a guide line for price comparisons

i believe www.swfa.com has the nightforce scope you mention for $1219 and the above paragraph is from their (swfa.com) website.

i have done business with swfa.com and am very satisfied. owner personally called me back when i had a question about internal MOA on a scope.

fyi

george

Wow, thought this thread was dead...

I received my rifle around Mar/Apr '02 timeframe, total cost of rifle with a few accessories and complete reloading stuff came out a bit more than $3200. Talk about getting into centerfire in a big way. I decided on a IOR 6-24x50 scope and Barrett adjustable MOA rings on top of the 15moa Armalite scope base. Being that both Leupold and Burris were known for a few lemons and the NXS option was a few hundred dollars too much at the time.. (goes back to the price fixing post above which I don't agree with.)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.