My newest varmint rifle Pics.

SBruce

Here's the latest addition to the family. Built by Chad at Long Rifles INC.
Started as a new short action remington 700. Printed and Trued, Brux barrel, Nightforce direct mount and Jewel trigger, Custom built stock and pillar/bedding work done by Chad.

Groups were the first ones fired during initial testing. 3 people each fired a 3 shot group at 100 yds. This was supposed to be with a random picked fireforming load........Sure looks like it will be a shooter!:)

Caliber is 6mm Long Dasher, or Ackley improved 6X47 Lapua. Going to pick it up this afternoon:D She should make a wonderful long range varmint gun.

Attachments

• 6LD by Long Rifles Inc..jpg
    6LD by Long Rifles Inc..jpg
    80 KB · Views: 219
  • First 100 yd groups Fireforming LRI 6 Long Dasher.jpg
    First 100 yd groups Fireforming LRI 6 Long Dasher.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Good looking rig for sure! Chad rocks doesn't he? Awesome smith & stand up guy, I'm buying parts right now for a 6.5WSM build Chad is going to plumb for me...

Interesting cartridge, what kind of performance outta that?

PS, Chad got me started on the Direct mount too...:)

Good looking rig for sure! Chad rocks doesn't he? Awesome smith & stand up guy, I'm buying parts right now for a 6.5WSM build Chad is going to plumb for me...

Interesting cartridge, what kind of performance outta that?

PS, Chad got me started on the Direct mount too...:)

Yea, he's a great guy and it's been a good experience dealing with him.
Sounds like he's currently set up to cerakote and paint stocks too, so just about everything can be done "in house"......Glad to hear it. I wish him the best. I have no doubt that he'll do more work out of my checkbook in the future.:)

I only have about a hundred rounds worth of experience with this cartridge, but so far it seems to shoot fireforming rounds very well (forming rounds are all I've shot). I got approx 3300'/sec with the 105 A-Max and 41 grns of H4350 powder, but it was a hot load. I backed it down a couple grns of powder and still got 3110'/sec. and shooting 1/2 minute at 300 yds (3 shot groups) with good consistency.

75 grn V-MAX bullets with 39 grns of R-15 chrono'd at 3600+ and shot 6-5 shot groups (3 seating depths) into an average of 3/4 minute. The 105 bullets shot better than the 75's with the loads I tried. There's alot of experimenting I have yet to do with this cartridge, but initial impressions have been good. It seems to give more velocity than expected with less powder than it should. That 6.5X47 Lapua brass must be able to handle alot of pressure before it shows any signs.? Small primer pocket and small flash hole but very similar to David Tubbs' 6 XC in case capacity. It seems to be very efficient.

I've also got a 243AI (bought used from Len, was his personal gun) that is shooting pretty darn good with a random picked fireform load (1/2 minute or less at 400 yds reliably, with 105 AMAX and 45 grns H4831SC chrono'd at 2998'/sec). It's got a faster twist, so I"ll probably use it for antelope/deer with 115 VLD's and use this new 6 LD with 80's-105's for long range coyotes, prarie dogs and other varmints that are beyond 223 or 22-250 range...........these 6mm's are really gonna shine in the wind compared to the 22-250.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments guys. I think it looks pretty good too.

We did Tactical Grey metal, Satin Mag with Matte Black spackle on the stock. The stock paint was matched to the cerakote colors mentioned. The metal is actual cerakote.

Barrel break in is already done, mounting the scope, shooting drops and varmints is next:)

I've been watching your build over on the 'hide, seems to be where Chad posts most if his work. I'm pretty stoked to see him get the capabilities to Cerakote & paint in house, it was farmed out when he did my 6-284. Even higher quality control & better overall products is what will come from bringing all in house.

I'm very impressed with the velocity of that cartridge, wow! That's right up there with my 6-284!!! & nearly 20grns less powder?! dang...

I was very suprised by the velocities I was seeing too. So much that I chrono'd some pellet gun speeds and some other cartridges of known speed to see if my chronograph was off..........well, it was reading normal near as I could tell, some 25-06 ammo that's always shot right around 3100 was averaging 3090.?

They guy that suggested I try this cartridge said it would do nearly what the 6-284 would, and that it would beat or at least equal the 243AI. I didn't fully believe this, and not sure that I do still, but I'll see and have a better idea after chronoing some from this new rifle and chronoing some more of the 243AI. Could be that the older 6LD was just a fast barrel.? Could also be that we're running more pressure in the Lapua brass than we think we are? But I'm pretty sure it's also a highly efficient case, and that always helps:).

Sweet build Shane! Looks like you'll be ready for next varmint season for sure...Just dont shoot out the barrel before I get there...LOL

Nice looking rig Shane, I can t wait to get back out to shoot with you this time. Have a good Thanksgiving and don t eat to much. Tell your Dad hi and we wish him well.

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.