My newest creation

257speed

Here is my new 7mm Ultra Mag that I just finished. Specs as follows:

Rem 700 action, completely blueprinted (using Gre-Tan method)with PTG custom ground bolt.

Kreiger 1/9, 4-groove, stainless barrel with deep flutes.

H-S precision stock.

Leupold 8.5-25x50mm scope.

Duracoat finished.

All work done by me. Hope to get the barrel broke in tommorrow.
2005_10270016.jpg
[/image]
d7f41113.jpg
[/image]
f1a21e24.jpg
[/image]

Very nice looking rifle! If it shoots as good as it looks, no game is safe!

Love the cross work on the stock! Without the middle one, what would we do?

Really slick looking rifle 257speed, great job!

Couple of questions if you don't mind.

Does the duracoat on the bolt change how smoothly the bolt functions, if so for better or worse?

Any idea how much the package weighs, as it sits?

Thanks,
Carl

I only put one coat of Duracoat on the bolt, as this is a very tight bolt anyhow. On a factory rifle, the extra thickness would be nice and it does operate smoothly. As far as weight, I have not put it on a scale, but I will let you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sewwhat89,
I couldn't have said it better!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If it shoots half as good as it looks you've got it made!!!

Very impressive,sensational paint job.
I am looking forward to seeing the shooting results.

Like zing, i have a couple questions, did you smooth down the stock before applying the duracoat finnish?

Also i am not familar with the Gre-tan method of accurising, please could explain. Thanks.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Centre punch, I buy my stocks directly from H-S unpainted but primed. So all I do is clean them good and paint them. As far as the contour on the barrel, it is one that I got from Kreiger on short notice. It was one they had turned on a special order for someone else (who decided not to buy). It is 1.250" for 6" then straight taper to around .890 at 29". Six 1/4" flutes, .225 deep at the large end.

Centre punch, I didn't finish answering your post before leaving the house this AM. I call it the Gre-Tan method, only because he sells most of the tooling. (in a nutshell)I reamed the bolt raceway and then using a special jig, the action is mounted and centered perfectly in the lathe so it is spinning on the axis of the bolt raceway. http://www.gtrtooling.com/prod05.htm Then all the thread and bearing surfaces are recut using a single point cutter. The factory bolt is also replaced with a custom bolt ground to tighter tolerances. This give you the best possible concentricity and accuracy from a remington action. I know this isn't a very detailed description, but it is close.

Thanks for the info 257,
I checked out the site, i am impressed, the photos show sturdy and quality looking tooling.

I am intrigued by your use of a custom bolt and can see the advantages, i have never been very keen on sleeved bolts and think your method is a much better solution.
Do you manufacture your own bolts, if so what steel do you use and is it heat treated before final grinding or is all machining done after treatment. Thanks.

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Centre Punch. The bolts are made by Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Guage. If you have't dealt with Dave, He is a great guy, easy to deal with and very knowledgable. He will custom grind the bolts to any dia. you specify and they can be had either with a factory extractor or sako extractor cut. I really can't say enough about the service I got from Dave and the gals at PTG. The product is top notch and I will be buying all my reamers from them in the future. I also like the "oversize bolt" better than the sleeving method. And when you compare the work involved in sleeving a bolt it is cost effective just to buy a custom bolt. Dave told me that after truing the action ( as previously described) that his bolt would wipe 90% of the lugs without lapping and this proved to be true.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts