My new Stone Glacier Pack just arrived.......

Randy,
Any more updates? I'm in buy a new pack mode and I'm trying to decide between a few packs. Mainly the Approach and a Kifaru.

The looks great packing out that elk! Congrats

Randy,
Any more updates? I'm in buy a new pack mode and I'm trying to decide between a few packs. Mainly the Approach and a Kifaru.

The looks great packing out that elk! Congrats

Well, I can't say enough good about it. Here are some more photos of it in "use."
It works great for a day pack/meat hauler and I used the approach for a couple of spike outs. It's good that way for about 2 days but any more than that I would use the solo bag. I know that a lot of guys are sold on the kifarus also but I like the simplicity and the weight of the SG. So far this year, it's packed out 3 deer and two elk--hopefully in a couple of weeks there will be a wolf strapped to it.
Hey, Christmas is right around the corner so maybe santa can bring you one.....

Randy

Attachments

• daves trip photos 060.jpg
    daves trip photos 060.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 123
  • daves trip photos 081.jpg
    daves trip photos 081.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 127
  • daves trip photos 123.jpg
    daves trip photos 123.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 104
  • daves trip photos 141.jpg
    daves trip photos 141.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 83
  • salmon hunting trip 045.jpg
    salmon hunting trip 045.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 108
  • salmon hunting trip 008.jpg
    salmon hunting trip 008.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 101
Randy,

Those are some great pictures and some very nice deer. That one is a hog. Nice job.

The pack looks great. Just what I want I think. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on it. My problem is I've got Kifaru right down the road and it's tempting to go with them for that reason.

What other packs have you used? I've tried an eberle 105, badlands 2200, and a cabelas external frame.

Thanks again

Randy,

Those are some great pictures and some very nice deer. That one is a hog. Nice job.

The pack looks great. Just what I want I think. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on it. My problem is I've got Kifaru right down the road and it's tempting to go with them for that reason.

What other packs have you used? I've tried an eberle 105, badlands 2200, and a cabelas external frame.

Thanks again

I've actually had all three that you mentioned. They all have pros and cons. I was an eberlestock dealer and it is a great company and Glen makes great packs, however, they all are just plain heavy. I still have a cabelas external frame and what I did with that is I made a crooked horn pack to attach to the frame and carried it that way.
Here was my main criteria for a pack. I wanted the pack and my sleeping gear to weigh 10 pounds or less. Some packs weigh almost that empty. That gives me 10 pounds for my hunting gear and 5 pounds for food/stove for 2 days for a carry around weight of max---25 pounds. So, I can have my entire pack weigh a comfortable weight and hit the high country and not worry about where my camp is. I've said it before but "If you're going to hunt Kong, you have to hunt where Kong lives." Not that I want to see a whole bunch of folks in the high country but it's the way to hunt as far as I'm concerned. I literally can glass in the morning in my sleeping bag. Another nice feature of the approach bag is that I can keep my spotting scope and tripod on the outside and it just takes a second to set that system up. My honey got me the solo bag for my birthday but have not had to opportunity to use it yet. And a great selling point for both the SG and the Kifarus is that they are both make here in America. If you wish, I could send you mine to try out and since you are close to Kifaru, you could compare them. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Think weight and simplicity.

Randy

Here is another "use" that the SG works great for. The spotting scope pocket works great for resting the front of your rifle against and it is a steady rest. You can also stand the pack up and shoot off the top. Another reason why I prefer a hard frame.

Randy

Attachments

• daves trip photos 047.jpg
    daves trip photos 047.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 106
Randy,
You and I must have be long lost brothers. .haha. I attached a 1100cu cabelas hip pack to my cabelas frame. I only use it now for pack out jobs. I also really like the Eberles but too heavy for me as well and lack of load lifters..

I'll visit kifaru again but im all but sold on the approach. I think it's what I want and no more. I may get the solo bag as well. Not sure yet. Thank you for offering to borrow your pack. I wouldn't want to put you out. Thank you for all your help. Truly helpful with actual experience is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you

Mike

Randy,
You and I must have be long lost brothers. .haha. I attached a 1100cu cabelas hip pack to my cabelas frame. I only use it now for pack out jobs. I also really like the Eberles but too heavy for me as well and lack of load lifters..

I'll visit kifaru again but im all but sold on the approach. I think it's what I want and no more. I may get the solo bag as well. Not sure yet. Thank you for offering to borrow your pack. I wouldn't want to put you out. Thank you for all your help. Truly helpful with actual experience is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you

Mike

Mike, good luck and let me know how it works for ya.

Randy

Ive had Dana, Gregory, MR, Eberlestock, old aluminum frames and big bags on them and have looked at close, worn and been with a buddy on hunts who uses a SG. The SG is superb. All have merits, and Im researching also to buy soon, Im seriously considering the Paradox in lieu of the SG so we can compare the two, Both great and well made and light and simple. Im not fond of Schnees and that's where SG is sold from now. Ive had Kennetrecs, I wont again, Scarpas and a few others are lighter, tougher and better by far in the toughest and steepest mtn terrain. Huge selection of models also, One of the best boots in the world. Hoffman Packs are hands down better than any other Pacs Ive used and been in walking the whole list of top end boots. They will do what many Hunt boots say they will, but much better with the great bottoms they use, far tougher than the others. Hunting boots are mostly all hype, Mountaineering boots are in a whole other league and work great for hunting and typically built on better footprints for sidehilling and steep terrain.

Randy,
I will let you know what I choose and how it works out. Last quick question- do you like the thickness of the shoulder straps? One thing I loved about the Eberle was the thin straps. I found them easy to shot from if need be. I don't care for real thick straps.. Thanks again

Mtntrapper, let ud know how that comparison goes

Randy,
I will let you know what I choose and how it works out. Last quick question- do you like the thickness of the shoulder straps? One thing I loved about the Eberle was the thin straps. I found them easy to shot from if need be. I don't care for real thick straps.. Thanks again

Mtntrapper, let ud know how that comparison goes

Mike, they are not as thin as the eberlestock but very comfortable. I would rate them as a "medium" thickness. I've never strapped on a Kifaru so I'm not sure how their straps rate.

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.