My New Rifle 7MM RUM - Advice wanted

sako5

Gudday guys

I have not posted here for a while.Im in NZ,same old ,still hunting.I got rid of my 300WSM and brought a 7mm RUM.
P9190006.jpg

P9190008.jpg

Im loading 95gns of AR2225 with 160gn accubonds for inside 400yds and 162 gn A Max bullets for 400yds +.The question being shooting deer past sort of 650yds is all new territory.What other bullets do you guys use?
What do 180gn bergers perform like?
Any special words of wisdom appreciated-thanks

Not sure about how big the deer your hunting are or what sort of accuracy your getting with that load but the 162 A-max launched at regular 7mm Rem mag speed should be enough to kill our whitetail deer out to 800-1000yds , so if the accuracy is good I'd stick to the A-max.

cheers james,mainly sika deer with the odd red.Ive never hunted whitetail but understand they are roughly the same size!

There is a guy on this forum ( NZ LONGRANGER ) who has alot of know how with the 7mm bullet. I believe he also shoots the amax ? Give him a PM and I'm sure Greg will help you out .

Cheers

i know people that have shot deer and elk with the 180 Bergers out past 1500 yards. they would be tough to beat at long range. the a-max is also very popular. i would choose the Berger, but would let the gun tell you which will work better. Sierra makes a 175 gr match king that's taken lots of game at long range also.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.