My New(ish) Rig

Nitroman

Just took this out to test loads yesterday 08/13/14.

.300 Ultra Mag 0.340" neck
Remington 700 action
Remington laminated stock from egunparts
Jewel trigger
Pacific Precision lightweight shroud and firing pin
Nightforce standard base
Nightforce high 30mm rings
Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm scope with NP-1RR reticle
Kreiger 1-10" twist barrel, three inches cylindrical then tapers to 1" at muzzle, 29 7/8's inches from face of receiver.

Greg Tannel did all the work. Completely rebuilt & trued action, bushed bolt and firing pin hole. Receiver front and rear ring cut back about 1/16" to allow for easy loading of magazine.
Not as pretty as some of the ceracoated/specialty stocked rifles, but she is dressed up and ready to go.
300_RUM_Left.jpg

and
300_RUM_Right.jpg

Barrel is chambered to allow a Berger 210gr. VLD loaded to fit the magazine and just touch the rifling. It is sweet.
3150fps average with 91 grains Retumbo at ~59,000 psi.

The coils next to the printer run out to the Oehler 35p and the box with the cable running to the comp and on the barrel is the PressureTrace. I use the electrical tape to keep the movement of the cable to a minimum.

That looks like a *very* competent shootin' iron!!!!

IIRC, there was a quote that went something like "function is beauty's master" and to me as regards rifles, that is about as full and complete a "beauty pageant" criteria for rifles could be.

I don't know what hunting in Alaska is like and maybe this rig isn't meant for hunting, but I'd hazard a guess it would accomplish the necessary accuracy part very well.

Sooo, what are your plans with it and how has accuracy begun to shape up?

Thank you sir for your comments.

As for accuracy: it sure doesn't like 89 grains Retumbo. The three shot group was around three inches across. Ninety grains had two holes perfectly overlapping and one off about 3/4". The last group was a bughole and flyer. To say I was tickled would be a massive understatement. The flyer was entirely my doing. The crosshairs on the scope were just about the same width at 110 yards as those I drew on my target. I was getting some odd optical thing going...took a breath and touched the trigger at exactly the wrong moment. But still, the potential is there.

I have only put the nine rounds downrange. The weather began to close in so I had to pack everything up quickly.

I need to work on my technique and get more familiar with the rifle. That just means more range time. At least I have a load that works, now I just have to pull it together so no flyers. Once I get that done I'll get off the bench and work on field positions.

With the sling and four rounds, this weighs exactly 15 pounds. Most of the hunting here is during the winter when you can drive out using snowmachines (no-one here calls them snowmobiles), until you see something. Then comes the fun humping your gear into range. Caribou and wolves are the primary intended animals. I will be using much lighter bullets for wolves. More testing coming up for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts