My New Hunting Buddy and Wolf Wacking Tool

Broz

After a few trips up chasing wolves this past season I realized I needd a way to get farther up than I am able to hike these days. So, I decided I needed a companion to go up after the wolves and bigger bulls. Here he is, meet Boone. Boone is a 13 yr old Gelding quarter horse with a lot of heart.
This was our first trip up to higher elevation today in a test run. As soon as ole Boone figured out I was boss we had a great day. We started in heavy fog and kept pluggin until we were above it. Then as I ate my PB&J Boone rested and I even shared a cookie and my apple with him. I think we are going be best of friends. Woofs better stay deep.
Jeff
1332720518010Small.jpg

1332720520418Small.jpg

Flip, this old saddle will be fine. She may be old but after a day in her I still feel good. This saddle has roped a many a steer too.

Jeff

Just curious, but I don't want to change the direction of this thread but....
What makes a good caliber, gun, etc. that makes a good wolf gun?

Just curious, but I don't want to change the direction of this thread but....
What makes a good caliber, gun, etc. that makes a good wolf gun?

Well, that is a good question. If I was to have my choice for all the time situations it would be my 300 win. It is very accurate to 1000 yards and the Bergers in it buck the wind well. But it is bulky for carrying on a horse so I am looking at a lever gun for a "all the time" horse rifle. My choice there would be a Browning BLR in 243. But they area little pricey to stick in a scabbard and rub the blue off off and beat around. I say any rifle that you can shoot well from a 22-250 up will do the job. But I would feel best with a 243 or larger.

Jeff

That is a **** fine looking new toy!

Thanks Rooster740, That makes me feel pretty darn good coming fro a guy that knows horses as well as you do. Boone is a nice horse with a good personality. He stood for his vaccine and took his wormer. He also stood for all 4 shoes with out even one little glitch. Wednesday he gets floated. He is a little light and I have him on full feed. He is pretty darn soft too so I been taking it easy on him. But the heart is there to keep going. He can be just a little stubborn about what path we take and leaving other horses. But he will do what I say when I make him and I insist on that. All in all we just need plenty of time together and that will make for a good summer of riding.

Jeff

Good looking ATV you've got there Broz:D
I wasn't actually expecting to see a horse when I opened the link... no more excuses now for not filling up this thread with pics of "sleeping" woofs. :rolleyes:

The second pic you posted is stunning, good looking area.

Good luck on the pursuit, we're still impatiently waiting down here... getting closer though.

Outlaw, glad you liked that pic, I do too. It was so cool. We rode up through the fog for about 3 miles and then out the top into sunshine. That pic shows the entire valley full of fog.

Harper, I am keeping him down the road 3 miles for now till I get a little fencing done. But we rode pretty much from my house up that day. So yes, plenty of riding in the "back yard" :)

Jeff

Now that's a great new hunting buddy. I'm sure you two will have a productive time together. I want a hunting buddy like that.
Gordon

If you do any day riding around Ennis or anywhere not to far from me and you want company give me a shout. I have a new girl that has about 100 pounds of extra grease on her. I start to get crazy busy here soon, but a guy can always make time for a horse ride. We still have a touch too much snow to get too far.

Attachments

• 0223121449.jpg
    0223121449.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 164
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts