My New 270 AM

magicofmt

Here's pictures on my new 270 AM Extreme Sportter that Kirby has built me. Went out to fireform some loads, 92 gr 872 with 130 gr NBT and it shot great at 200 yds, even with this really light load. I'm sure the gun shoots better than I can. Bull is 1 1/2 inches. Can't wait to get the barrel fully broke in and start shooting real loads with fireformed brass.

McMillian Stock, Lilja 30in barrel, Holland Muzzelbreak, Basix Trigger, etc, etc.. etc....

Thanks Kirky, I love the gun so far!

breakin4shots.jpg
270AM2.jpg
270AM.jpg

Jealous, jealous, jealous

Gloom, dispair and agony on me!!

What contour and flutes? Tell me #7 w/BMG flutes, will ya huh? Please will ya, huh?

I was crying myself to sleep last night and my wife asked, What's the matter honey? I sobbed, I don't have a 270 AM. She smacked me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy, yes it's a #7 contour. My wife saw me taking pictures of the gun and said, not another gun????? Try to explain to a woman that it's a very special gun, Ha!

Beautiful Rifle! What's that pretty thing weigh? I really like the look of that rifle. That's pretty close to what I had in mind for my .270AM. Thanks for posting.

[ QUOTE ]
Roy, yes it's a #7 contour. My wife saw me taking pictures of the gun and said, not another gun????? Try to explain to a woman that it's a very special gun, Ha!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one coming just like it but w/a black stock. I'm kind of anxious about the stock. I should have spent the big bucks first, I think, but I don't know, maybe, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9 Pounds with the scope sounds very good.

BTW, your bottom picture, if you don't know the layout of your place is quite an optical illusion. It took me a bit to figure it out.

Nice looking rig for sure. You will definately appreciate the brake on it once you get on up the scale a bit on the loads and bigger bullets.

Good luck on your load development and keep us posted on your progress. Being down here in thick air and surrounded by a moisture blanket, I had to back off what some folks are using for loads with the 869. I am about 8 or more grains shy of most folks loads. However, I am still in the ball park with the velocities and accuracy.

Have fun,

Which scope are you using? Nice looking rifle.....Kirby is building me a 7mm AM now, but thinking about having him rebarrel my 7mm STW Sendero to 270 AM. Thinking a little harder now.

Just a heads up on some fire forming loads if your interested.

I was out to the range yesterday and had some I loaded up several months ago, and had been saving for a close in pack of hogs. However, I just got tired of them sitting around in the box so decided to chrono them. The load is 98grs of 872, Rem cases, and Fed 215's. The bullets are Nosler 150gr Solid bases, I have had for several years. Figured why not put them to good use. I seated them to .015 off in my rifle. The velocity was mid 3400's with no signs of pressure and here is the target I shot @ 200yds,
150grNSB081906R.jpg

The shot to the right was from another load that I was going to test but scrapped, the 7 shots on the right of the bull are the 150's, the C-C measures 1.250" for the whole bunch and the 5 cluster, is .556" C-C.

On the cases, they are simply regular factory 7mm RUm cases necked to have just a slight squeeze on the them as the bolt closes. I think it's about a 16th or so up from the neck. Other than that they were just loaded and shot. I think I will keep some more of them around just in case I get a shot on a nice whitetail out a ways, I really wouldn't want to shoot one too close with this bullet. I know they don't make the 150 SB's anymore but they do make the BT's and that would make an awesome varmint and practice load while your forming up some cases.

Let us know how yours is coming along.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.