My most fun gun is a 17 HMR

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
It is a Volquartzen semi-automatic with the fiber wrapped barrel. It groups around 1/2 inch or so at 100 yards. It is great on squirrels.

I threw a 17HMR barrel on my Clark Custom 77/22mag. Grabbed a couple of boxes of ammo and headed to the range. It was windy but the little speed demon printed a few 3-shot groups into about an inch @ 200 yds . Recoil was barely perceptable. One of the nicest things that I noticed - I don't have to reload before I go again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I like the little 17HMR. I'm not sure how much hunting I'll do with it but it is fun to shoot.

len, agreed! I have the exact same gun, vloquartsen action, carbon barrel/ with new forward blow comp, in a turner barracuda stock. that thing flat out shoots!

I'll have to post some pics, glad to see the new format of the forum.

My HMR is just a lowly blued Savage but it shoots great.What makes the HMR my favorite gun these days is its low noise.The prairie dogs dont seam to mind the mild report of the HMR so they stay up longer.It shoots good enough to get them out past 300 yards but ya get a few crawlers past 150yards.I usualy start with the HMR and when there are no more targets within 150 yards I switch to something a little bigger.
No ear plugs and the very light reciol make it just plain fun!!!

I have one of the Savage 93R17BTVS rifles. Got it last summer but haven't been able to shoot much this past year (acting as your own lawyer really eats up your life).

I do like the rifle and it shoots well - I also have one of the BSA Sweet 17 scopes, though I wish I had gotten one of the Cabella's Pine Ridge scopes.

I bought it because in my state, we are only allowed to use rimfires on state land /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have to agree Len, my VQ 17hmr is the most "fun" gun that I have every owned. Nothing more fun that puffing a sparrow or blackbird at 100 yards!!!

vq-L.jpg

Sam

I wish I had your stiffer stock. I have the Hogue. Not so good with a bipod.

Yuup 17hmr's are very fun to shoot.
Mine is a cz 452 american -brookies trigger glass bedded -shoots 5/8-3/4" groups.
For spring time pd's there is nothing better.
Mine has sent many crows to crow heaven at ranges too 200 yds.Long live the rimfire king!!

Gerald same here in Aussie no semis and no supressors either unfortunatley for my hearing!

Have really only had my sako quad wood out once - but the 120m head shots on a couple of rabbits were a joy. I can see the Blaser 93 with .223 match is going to get less of a workout in the future

Here is my Sako Quad wood with set trigger - though it wearing a .22lr barrel and muzzleweight in these pictures. I htink it is the only quad wood with set trigger in the southern hemisphere at the moment

The set trigger is a total joy 2pounds on normal and 9 ounces when set. it is the reason I waited a year for the rifle

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/DavydR/?

Was there a comment about finding that accuracy from bipods was lower on plastic stocked rifles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Hogue plastic stock specifically, is too weak to work well with a bipod. When I shoot, I have to be careful to be very neutral on stock pressure.

Last edited:
TC 17 Hummer

Here is the TC Contender Carbine with a 16.5" 17 Hummer barrel and the Weaver V16 scope. Not much for purty, but it shoots pretty well. Took a PD at 280 yds.

17_hmr_tc.jpg

17_hmr_280_yd_pd.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.