my moose hunt

avfromvt

Getting really cold so I thought I would post some of this years pics.

Here is a pic of my first moose taken 10/18/10 in northern VT about an hour and a half from where I live. Due to my father in laws handicap we were not able to get deep into the high mountain tops where the moose had moved to, so we spent a lot of time on the gas lines and large clear cuts calling and glassing. This bull calf stepped out on our second to last day around 2pm.

My setup:
Benelli R1 30-06 (wood stock non-comfertech)
3-9 burris scope
165 gr federal triple shok

The shot was in a clear cut right at 300 yards in scrubby brush. due to the brush I was propped up against the only tree in the cut. The moose stood broadside and I squeezed the first shot off. He kicked a little but walked a few steps and stopped and looked around, I squeezed another off and heard a whap. He took two more steps and tipped over.

Upon further investigation the first shot took out both lungs and went clean through, the second was through the heart and through the back shoulder. The lucky part of the hunt was I met a local with a wheeler and not only did he know the clear cut but every old logging road through it.

DSC_0664.jpg

This should settle any arguments how well the old -06 will do on moose.
Your shot placement was great, going for a double lung on the first shot.
That young bull should be very tasty.

jack1k

Great going! Even a small mooose is a great big animal.:)
I'll bet ya had fun getting him hung in the tree:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.