My longest Coues buck!

It looked like the Berger did exactly what it is supposed to.. Penetrate 2-3 inches and EXPLODE! There was no evidence of the bullet even getting close to the off side.

Great shot and trophy. However, personally, I would consider that performance of the Berger as marginal. Big game bullets are about controlled expansion and penetration, not '"2-3 inches and explode", with "not a drop of blood". God forbid you hit the shoulder joint - then what ? It definitely worked out for you, but I would not trust that performace of anything larger than a coues deer based on what you indicated.

Again congrat's on a great shot and buck.

Now, I dont want to get into a ****ing match here, but I think the Berger did exactly like it is designed. I really think that was the difference between killing/finding that deer and just killing it. I hit the deer just a tad too far back (still got back of lungs). I think a TSX or Accubond (what I use in my other guns) would have blow right through and not killed the deer like the VLD did.

Believe me, I did my research and went back on forth trying to decided weather or not to use the VLD for situations exaclty like you described.. After talking in great lenght with John Barnesnes, I decided I would give them a try.

Scottboy has done it again. Another gorgeous mount! This is my 2008 buck, and here he sits now. Not a big buck, but a really neat buck with a cool story, and a good, long shot :D

Here he is then:
deertday2008062-1.jpg

And here he is now:

08buckmount001.jpg

08buckmount002.jpg

08buckmount003.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.