My long range .243 back from the "doctor"

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by BigBamBoo, Dec 8, 2010.

1. BigBamBoo

BigBamBoo Well-Known Member

I shipped my Surgeon Scalpel (.243) back to Surgeon to have a Badger FTE muzzle brake installed. Before the "why a brake on a .243" comments start...I like being able to spot my own shots. Even with a .243 without a brake it is sometimes hard to do that at the 300-500 yard range. With a brake it is not an issue at all. Plus...I just like brake's...and I think they look kewl! gun)
    I shipped it on Nov. 30th. and received it back this morning! With a nice list of things they did to the rifle...for free:

Re-bedded the action
    replaced the bolt and re-head spaced it (newer design now)
    gave me another 5 round mag

Customer service is a hard thing to come by these days. And I have dealt with Surgeon on a number of occasions and have to say that their customer service and attention to detail is 2nd to none.
    Oh...and they gave me a free hat too!

So...below are some pics of the rifle with the new brake...now if the weather will clear up I will go shoot it.

Take care,Stan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

Beautiful rifle! I say "way to go" on the brake, althought I would have changed the inscription to "smile, wait for flash" :D. I have thought about putting a brake on my 243 as well so let us know how big a difference it makes.

3. Firecat

Firecat Well-Known Member

Holy crap!! Where do you live? Look how green that grass is. Weather can't be too bad. LOL. Thats a sweet looking rig. I say make it your way and enjoy.

4. coues7

coues7 Well-Known Member

Stan did you have to send Amber pictures to get all that? Nice rig man! Glad to see you over here.

Scott

5. BigBamBoo

LOL...thanks guys. Nope...no Amber pics for the great customer service...but you have given me an idea....hmmmm.

Take care,Stan

6. Rhino Hunter

Rhino Hunter Well-Known Member

SWEET rig!!! I like the idea of a .243 with a brake.

My .257 Wheathermag has a brake and kicks less than a .243 w/o a brake.

RH

7. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

I'm getting a break on my .308 for the same reason. No shame at all! Nice rifle!

Tank

8. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

NIce looking rig! What bullets are you running and what twist barrel?

9. BigBamBoo

Using 107 SMK's, Lapua brass, and 40.3 grains of H4350. I just made a trip to the range. Look for my range report post.