My first longish range coyote 552yds

Well I guess to a lot of people this is considered medium range but I was pretty excited to beat my old record by 200yds.

I got this coyote that was laying down with a stiff quartering to me wind. Not sure of speed because I had misplaced my Kestral. Forecast called for 30-50km/hr but guessing it was around 20-25km/hr.

I had my Bushnell 4200 cranked up to 24X and number 4 mildot was the holdover. Held on the coyotes rear thigh and punched it behind the shoulder. Heard a nice whack but had to do a short recovery. The coyote was slightly quartering me so the bullet travelled to mid body exit instead of straight across.

005-1.jpg

I was shooting a Savage 12FV staggered feed .22-243Win. Shilen 28 in 1 in 8 twist using Retumbo and 80gr Berger VLD's for 3350fps.

2for3day007.jpg

Can't wait to get some more a little ways out there.

Very Nice!!! Next time get em on the run at that range! :cool:

I'll try my best, actually would like to shoot a double on running coyotes out past 500yds. Two coyotes running straight at each other and take both as they pass by each other.:D

Really though I'll leave the running shots to the pros. Stationary broadside is what I wait for. The best running shots I have seen were on wolves at 300 and 515yds. Big high fives on those.

thanks fellas, Tim I'm gonna order a couple Outlaw Slings QR one of these days. Would make calling with a heavy rifle a little easier. Do you carry the other colors?

I was out shooting at the range the other day. We were shooting my new .308 at 545 yards using my reloaded 168 gr AMAX. I was getting 3-4 inch groups. I'm confident I could get a coyote at that range ..... as long as it was sitting still and giving me a shot at it's side ...... LOL.

Catahoula- I'm using 46.5 gr Retumbo, fairly hot with the Win mag primers ontop of it. I've got some H1000 and Re19 to try this summer, may also pick up some H4831sc.

Muttt- my rifle shoots similar groups at that range sometimes better(<.5MOA). I still like calling them in close but this is just something extra to work on that I'm beginning to enjoy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.