My first long range kill!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by diderr, Jan 10, 2008.

1. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

01/08/2008, After shooting under .25" with my new handload at the target range the day before I decided to test it out on some dogs. well we went out to do some laid back prairie dog hunting. My original goal was to shoot at 300 and under, but they started to p--- me off with their smartness. The town we were hunting in is a square mile literally. So I preceded to aim at the far hill side. I fired at a few 500-600 yards a way, but no hits. I then thought to my self I better go big or go home. I then found a the farthest dog away i could see, which was 800 yards exactly according to my Leica 1200. The first three shots were misses do to the wackness of my drop chart. I walked it in, and the 175 gr. smk went right THROUGH his mound and hit him. He walked three feet and tipped over. I could see the massive lump of the prairie dog through my scope, so it was just a matter of getting there.
    (I know I have bad fashion sense when it comes to hunting, 3 different camos)
    [​IMG]
    My new handload shot off cold barrel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

Three camo's thats it? least you dont look cold!

Its Ok! to walk em in you got a extra 300 yards outa that!

Nice pic!

3. Marine sniper

Marine sniper Well-Known Member

What caliber is your rifle ??

Nice shot, eventually !

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  4. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

You need to go back out there and set up real targets and shoot groups out to and beyond 800 yards. Measure the center of your group relative to the target center and get your drop chart squared away. You need to make a file in your computer and one in a notebook where you record your drop data and the conditions under which it was shot. All rifles start out with a whacky drop chart but once one discovers something is amiss one needs to fix it. Computer generated drop charts are not worth anything unless backed up with real world data.

5. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

The drop chart I used was from JBM, but I got a pocket PC coming and soon after exbal.

6. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

300 wsm

7. mikenc

mikenc Well-Known Member

Will you please share your load data for the 300 WSM. I'd like to know the recipe that will get .25" groups?

Mike Alford

8. Sendero_Man

Sendero_Man <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

diderr

send me a PM... I can hook ya up with some stuff....

Scott

9. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

Seirra 175 smk, CCI LRM primers, Win brass, and finally 68 grns of H4831sc.

10. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

Cool. Wish I was with ya.

11. mikenc

mikenc Well-Known Member

diderr,

Thank you very much for sharing the information. Good Shot.

Mike Alford

12. Flybuster

Flybuster Well-Known Member

Three shots, still thats pretty good! Even long range competitions give you a couple of sighters! That's what I call fun. He's a big one, many trips did it take to pack him?

13. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

diderr, first off, congrats on the shot. i'm jealous you get to shoot at something this time of year.

secondly, you look like you're in competition for the "Kirby Allen grumpy look" award. let's work on that.

and third, let us know if anyone calls the camo fashion police on ya!

14. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

I just have to say this. You shot three times and you missed that dime every time :D. That rifle is a shooter. You really do break up your outline with all that different cammo. If anybody says anything tell them you are color blind :rolleyes:.