My first 6mmAI is on the way .....

And I could use some load data. So far I plan on using 100gr soft points for the fireforming loads, and after that I will start in on load development. The plan is to shoot either 87gr Vmaxes or 90gr Berger's. Any load data for these two bullets would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

MSU-Marksman,
You did not mention what twist your barrel was ????
makes a big difference.
UB

I already know what grain it can shoot, and I know what grain I want to shoot. I just need a starting point for load development for the 85-90gr range.

Well we didn't know what twist you had, so thats why the guy asked. It makes a difference of what bullets you plan on shooting, either light varmint bullets at blistering speeds, or heavier bullets with higher BC's for longer range shooting. Makes a little bit of difference for a recomendation anyways..

MSU- here is what I worked up...

it is not with the bullet weight that you menitoned, but run the ballistics on the computer...very impressive

26" shilen SM barrel

Win brass-FIRE FORMING LOADS
Fed 210 or 9 1/2
70g Ballistic tip
50.5g of Win 760
4050 fps with single digit SD and .385 groups

Formed loads
51.5g of 760
70g Nosler BT
4150 fps
bug hole groups

Work up to these loads in your rifle.

It is amazing how this much speed will cut down on wind drift and bullet drop to 550, after that the heavier bullet will take over on wind drift, but bullet drop is horendous.

For the heavier bullets, I wouild start off with R#19 and close to max pressures you will find an accuracy load.

I have some questions for those of you who also have a 6 mm and 6mm AI. I have one on order and am looking at getting it accurizied but using the factory barrel for now. It is the rem 700 VLS, it has a 9 1/8 twist. I will chamber the factory barrel for 6 mm AI. In the furture I would like to make it as accurate as possible. I am looking at dies, what dies are you using? How do you feel about the match grade dies? I am looking at the Redding neck dies with the collets to match the neck as close as possible. what are you thought on this.....

[ QUOTE ]
Twist rate can effect your loads? Thats new's to me. The twist will be a 1-9.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes twist rate does effect your loads, for example if you have a 1-10" to 1-12" twist you could load w760 and shoot 70gr BT's at close to 4000fps (keithcandlers estimates of 4150fps are a bit optomistic and closer to the second coming of Chernobyl rather than reality). since you later stated that you have a 1-9" twist your best bet would be to try H4831,RL22 or VVN165 and use a Berger 95gr VLD. with a B.C. of .514 acombo that would be hard to beat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts