My Elk Hunt...The Good...The Bad...And The Ugly

Brad,
I had the pleasure of meeting a "bull-cook" in a camp one time who was a real strange old dude. Could not figure out some of the stuff he did or said until his boss said to me: "I didn't know old Jock drank - till I met him sober one day...".

Cookie told me a story about his favorite deer rifle - ".250-3000 - flat as a string out to 800 and then it starts to drop a little bit.. Had it zeroed for 600, but I missed a lot of close shots cause the bullets were still climbin' "

LDHunter
Those were just off the top of my head, could relate a lot more if I sat at it for a few minutes. You should come huntin' with me some time
wink.gif

Guys- just ran across this place looking for info on along range elk rifle. What a neat place.

I passed on a small 5x5 in a mountain meadow i hunt. This elk actually bugled at me three times when I hit my elk in heat call. On Nov the tenth.
I had decided to pass on any bull that didn't exceed the other 5x5 I shot. It was tempting though.
I will hopefully run into a cow later as they are supposed to extend the cow season in the 300 areas until Dec. Actually now it is an either sex deal-you can shoot cow or bull with a bull tag in an effort to reduce the elk population around here.
I think if they wait long enough the wolves will do that for them.

I was driving back to Montana this summer when talk show host from Chicago was talking to an outfitter from Gardner, Mt.
He took his young daughter there for a camping, fishing trip.
The outfitter who has been guiding for 18 yrs there estimates an elk depletion of up to 70% in and around the park.
He said that about 75% of the outfitters and guides have gone out of business in the communities around the park.
I am really glad I stumbled onto this place.

Take care:

Leep Out:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.