My Dad Smokes a Whitetail at 1020 Yards

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
On 11-18-08 I had hoped to go hunting with my dad and good friend Travis (Kirby this area should look familiar). As things turn out I was not able to make it. The story is relayed to me like this:
We showed up at spot X at 1:45 pm, at 1:48 pm Travis spots this buck and tells me to get dialed in. There is no wind to speak of and I dial 24.75 MOA for 1020 yards. When the buck turns to a just slightly quartering away position I "send it". I look back through the scope just in time to see him drop over backward and go belly up right where he stood. The 300 SMK entered right in the crease crossing the the top of the heart impacting the offside shoulder, turning and stopping just under the skin in the lower neck. I hit within 3-4 inches of my aiming point. We drove over and drug him up the hill about 40 yards to the truck and were back at the home for wayward hunters at at 3:00 pm. It was short but sweet my best buck and best shot ever just wish you could have been there.
I am truly bummed to have missed this with my dad but they did get the whole thing on video so everyone will get to see it. Sorry for the picture quality I will post some better ones later if I get them.

DAD08BUCK2.JPG

DAD08BUCK1.JPG

Shawn, That is a really great whitetail. Congratulate your Dad for me please. Obviously you must be a chip of the ole block!! Happy Thanksgiving.
Jim

Good goin all the way around.

Please don't forget to post pics of the bullet...........

"Missed POA by 3-4" @ 1020. That elevates your dad to my elite list of shooters, that I know of, that can do that on the cold first shot. That list has only 4 names on it and mine isn't one of them.ge(

Awesome. Big congrats to your dad Shawn. Very small percentage of the hunters out there can make claim to a shot like that. Goes to show the dedication you guys have. Congrats on a well earned trophy. The size of that buck is just the icing on the cake :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.