My boy wins his first LR shooting match!!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Shawn Carlock, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

My son and I competed in the Sportsman's Challenge Small Game ( http://sportsmanschallenge.weebly.com/ ) match on Saturday. The match was alot of fun, there were 2 courses of fire the short range out to about 500 yards and the long range out to around 800. All targets were animal shaped and made from AR steel. The format was very easy going and alot of fun. The time limits were generous and allowed for the coaching of younger /less experienced shooters as their spotter. My son is 10 years old and won the high junior position in the under 18 catagory. I was extremely proud of him (he nearly cleaned the short course in 6 minutes of the 15 allowed). It was a realy great opportunity for the new long range shooter to get some field practice and learn some things form more experienced shooters. If you get a chance check out one of the matches in the future.

Oh, by the way he shot his Rem 700 with a Hart barreled 260 Rem and suppressor, topped with a 3.5-15 NXS. Thanks to all who cheered him on and went out of their way to make him feel like on of the "big" guys.

[​IMG]

2. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

A big congrats to you and your son. I'm sure you are a very proud papa, good luck at yalls next shoot.

Nathan

3. Centxshooter

Centxshooter Well-Known Member

A proud father keeps a smile on his face for a long time. Tell the kiddo congrats from Texas.

4. calib

calib Well-Known Member

Shawn,
    thanks for the kind words about the shoot. i had a great time watching you and your son shoot through the course. Tyler will be a someone to watch out for in future competition. I liked the choice of rifles you brought to the shoot, very classy. here are a couple pictures from the shoot we have, ill send the rest to you by e mail. Can't wait to go out and find some chucks and hope to get you one or two on film.

Caleb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Congrats to both!

6. DDT

DDT Member

Congrads to father and son. Hope ya'll keep shoten together for a very long time.

7. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

A CHIP off the ol' block ,congrats.:D

8. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Way cool Shawn! Pat your son on the back, & tell him congrats from us Oregon boys accross the creek.
    That's a title WAY BEYOND any little league trophy, & something to Truly be proud of!! Great job! What an amazing accomplishment.

9. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Congrats to the both of you. Looks like a great team effort and that you and your son have done the homework. Tell him congrats from me and nice job on the trigger end.

Jeff

10. calib

calib Well-Known Member

too bad you are soo far away, it was a fun shoot, nothing too crazy just some steel shooting. what do you have going on labor day

11. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed it Calib, sure would have been more fun than siding my house in 90 degree weather. :D

Not sure about Labor Day yet.

Jeff

12. calib

calib Well-Known Member

take a look at the website for the Hells Canyon shoot should be a good time. did you get the picture i sent you?

13. Southwest Hunter

Southwest Hunter Well-Known Member

Congrats

14. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

Shawn, Congrats to you and your entire family! Well done!!!

I'm constantly amazed at what these young kids can do.