my atempt at building an adjustable cheekpeice

manhoer

one picture is before I trimmed it one after I used 8 layers of walnut 1/16 veneer and topped it with one layer of cherry then I glued them all together and put them in a mold I made.when the glue dried it was solid as plywood.I still have to cut in the adjustment slots and stain it to match the stock but I got called away to work I'll post new pics when it's done

P1050593.jpg

P1050593-2.jpg

P1050592.jpg

P1050592-1.jpg

P1050594.jpg

P1050594-1.jpg

P1050589.jpg

P1050590.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. Now crank one out that will work on my pepper colored Hart LRT stock on tell me where to send the money! How did you bend them around the mold? Steam?

I just used thin sheet metal and bent it over the mold the placed the veneer over the mold and pressed it together with the steel and some ratchet straps.let it set for at least 24h.

Nice, this is an excellent alternative for those of us who would like an adjustable cheek piece but have nice laminate stocks that we do not want to use the kydex piece on. So my main question is, are you willing to make and sell these? and for what price? I can stain it myself to match my stock i imagine, and how well do you forsee it holding up to moisture?

I'm sorry I don't have the time to make and sell them.I work in the oil field and I'm out of town 95% of the time,but maybe if things slow down in the future I could make a few.As far as moisture that I don't know yet but I am using a danish oil on mine and if it was to be used in a wet climate you could put a coat of varathane over it and it would not be an issue.mine is on my target rifle and will not see rain or snow.I also don't know how it will handle recoil but it is basically plywood so I don't see a problem with that either.Unfortunately with the amount of snow we got this year and are still getting I won't see the range till June but I'll keep you posted.don't know what happend to the pics but I think I got it fixed.

Last edited:
nice work lining up the grain on the veneer with the grain on the stock. looks good.

Looks good!!!
How are you attaching it to the stock? Where do you control the adjustability on it? I mean for higher or lower altitude?

I need to cut to vertical slots about 2 inches apart or so and each 1 1/2 to 2 inches long then drill 2 holes to line up to the slots and bolt it to the stock with alen head type bolts.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts