My 8,000 Foot Wyoming Black Bear - By Len Backus

Beautiful bear! I have one question. Was the meat harvested from these bears? Your article states that after you shot and found the bear, you took some pictures and headed back to camp, then came back to "recover the hide and the skull" the next morning. Was this purely a trophy hunt? I'm not trying to start trouble. I know bear meat is very hit or miss as far as taste and quality are concerned. The bear I took last fall proved to be quite tasty. Just curious. Overall it sounds like an amazing time in the field! Congrats!

I did not choose to keep the meat this time. I've never eaten bear meat. Some guys I've talked to hate eating it, some are ok with it. Wyoming doesn't require keeping it. But I'd really like to try it some time but maybe on a fat bear killed in fall rather than one in poorer spring condition.

The quality of the meat depends on what they have been eating. If they have been eating on a dead carcass or out of a trash can ( personal experience ) the meat is horrible. If they have been eating a normal diet of berries then it is quite good.

Indeed. That's exactly right. Mine was a nice fat country bear eating berries etc. I was also curious about the laws in Wyoming. Here in Oregon you are required to keep the meat. If you get one in the right location where trash and salmon aren't an issue, they are at least good for spaghetti and tacos. Either way, that is a gorgeous bear and a heck of an awesome sounding hunt.

Len, I just read the story of your great hunt. Bear hunting is terrific! My son and I got real interested in it in 2009 and have done fairly well since, taking four black bear and a grizzly since 2010.

You make some very good points in your article, some of which I've been preaching to riflemen for a long time. One good point was being able to make a shot from field positions, quickly and accurately.

This is VITAL.

Even with a long-range rifle and all the shooting we like to do at 500 & beyond... Being able to shoulder the rifle and deliver a killing shot quickly from prone, sitting, kneeling or even standing... With or without much in the way of support, is a very important skill that may just be the difference between taking game, or going home empty handed.

Of the various positions, I'd have to say that I've taken more game from sitting, by far, than from prone. Prone is great. Very stable, very accurate, but often there are steep slopes which make prone quite difficult, or there are intervening obstacles which might only be tall grass, or can include brush, rocks and logs... Getting up into a good sitting position helps tremendously. With practice, one MOA from sitting is quite possible, and better can be done.

My youngest son particularly likes using a tall Harris bipod, and takes most of his shots in practice and in the field, from sitting.

I probably practice standing the most, as it's the most difficult for me. But I spend a fair bit of time and ammo from sitting as well. My beat up legs don't like kneeling, so I rarely use it, though it too can be a good position.

Learning to use field expedient rests is good as well. A pack frame makes a good shooting rest from sitting, as do shooting sticks.

You made some great points in your article, and I congratulate you on a terrific hunt! Nice bear - but you bring out so much more in your stories, a love of the hunting area itself comes out. Good times with your fellow hunters and the guides. There is no doubt but that you enjoyed the heck out of this and other hunts.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.