My 7mmSAUM

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by dragman, Jan 2, 2014.

1. dragman

dragman Well-Known Member

This is my baby and I figured I would share how happy I am with it. I shoot both long range hunting for ground hogs/shooting long at clay birds and I shoot long range shiloutte for competition. I am really impressed with this cartridge and think it is my favorite for my application. In the last two years I have put some real time in with the .284, the 6.5X284, 300WSM, and the 300RUM. I just like 7SAUM at least for now. :rolleyes:

Action: Lawton 75 (prototype)
    Barrel: Krieger 31" 8.5 twist HV taper
    Trigger: Jewel
    Stock: Shehane tracker, bedded and pillared
    Bases: Steel Lawton
    Rings: Titanium
    Scope: NF ATACR

Brass is 300SAUM norma that has been necked downed and turned. Reamer is a .314 neck with .190 freebore I am shooting the 180 grain berger hybrids. Unlike what I usually like to do I am not pushing it too hard and just keeping it in the sweet spot. I have shot some really nice groups with her and I am hoping this spring to get the camera set up so I can shoot them on camera before posting them. Hoping to get it out to 1500 yards this year on some clay birds or maybe even a hog.

Attached Files:

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet!

3. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Very nice! Looking forward to your video.

You have hogs in PA? Wild hogs? Don't recall hogs running around in PA when I lived there, but that was a loooong time ago.

Thanks for sharing!

4. dragman

Sorry, ment ground hogs. that is about all the excitement i get out this way.

5. vandal

vandal Well-Known Member

What loads do you have cooked up?

6. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I remember them :D

If you had the other hogs, I think you would happy for the good ole wood chucks :rolleyes:

7. dragman

honestly the gun is easy to load for. 180 hybrids and just about any powder works nice from H4350-Retumbo. I can give you some more details if you wanna PM me.

8. dragman

honestly the gun is easy to load for. 180 hybrids and just about any powder works nice from H4350-Retumbo. I can give you some more details if you wanna PM me.

9. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Nice LR setup right there. I ran the Shehane tracker on my 6-284 for a few years before switching into an A-5. That stock was bad ass on the bags.... kinda sucked everywhere else :D.

I'm looking forward to a 1500yd 7mm-saum whacked ground hog report, keep us in the loop.

t

10. dragman

I do love the A5's but the way the shehanes are on a heavy bag is awesome. My friend hit one at 1408 with the SAUM two years ago. where he goes 1250 is usually the longest shots you get.

11. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

The Shehane is king of sand bags, no doubt in my mind at all. I decided I wanted to go mag fed & needed an adjustable comb... the shehane had to go!

t

12. trucraft

trucraft Well-Known Member

Looks sweet.
    My SAUM also has a .314 neck.
    I spent a a couple of mornings before Christmas re sizing and neck turning 150 pieces of Norma brass. Satisfying but very slow!
    How much clearance have you on a loaded round?
    Have U had any issues squeezing enough powder into your Norma cases?

13. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Are you guys neck turning due to resizing the 300 down to 7mm or because of the neck diameter you have had the throat cut to? Could you please verify this info.

Thanks,
    Tank

14. dragman

with how it sizes down I would turn them anyways but a .314 neck is considered a tight neck in a 7mm so they would have to be turned anyways.