My 7 Dakota Rebarrel Done By Nathan Dagley - Straight Shot Gunsmithing

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Nate, you were great to work with on my tight schedule. Thanks! Straight Shot Gunsmithing The workmanship and fit is top notch. Your ability to oh-so-casually make a generic picatinny scope base fit the shape of action was impressive.

ssg-rebarrel-1.jpg

These were groups from the very first shots out of the rifle. I was moving up in 1/2 grain increments. And I haven't played with seating depth yet. Prone with bipod and a too-soft rear bag that needs to be either replaced or filled tighter. I can already tell it's going to be a shooter. gun)

ssg-rebarrel-2.jpg

The barrel is from Tracey Bartlein at Bartlein barrels Now, with only a few dozen more rounds down the tube it cleans very easily.

The brake is from Holland Guns Darrel, I have never found it so easy to spot my shots at such close ranges. Fantastic brake. Thanks so much.

The stock is a McMillan Hunter and the action is one of my favorites, a Tikka Model 658. I shot my first sort-of-long-range deer with this action years ago.

The scope is my brand new Nightforce. 5.5 to 22 X 56, Zero Stop, NPR-1 reticle. Don't have to say much about quality here when you know you're preaching to the choir. :)

I also have a Kenton Industries Tuned Trajectory Compensator turret cap. This is my second one and I am a believer. Mark, you deserve your success.

Last edited:
At least this time you show a minor amount of imagination when you chose stock color.

I have been thinking about a 7 Dakota for a certain young lady if she wishes to hunt with me next year again.

Len,
Well I guess we have not fully pulled you over to the dark side yet (specialty pistols):D

Beautiful looking rig-Enjoy it!

Is that brake Holland's new Radial one?

Never have tried a Bartlein barrel yet.

You think this rig is enough for LR coyotes in WY?;)

Ernie, yes, a radial brake. It weighs about 6 ounces.

The coyotes are in for big trouble now.

Very nice rifle and looks like a shooter!
What bullets are you shooting and what velocity are you getting with the 7mm Dakota?

I didn't chrono it but from past experience I would say this load is at 3100. It is a Cauterucio 176 grain VLD. I have used them for about 5 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.