My 7 Dakota Rebarrel Done By Nathan Dagley - Straight Shot Gunsmithing

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Len Backus, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Nate, you were great to work with on my tight schedule. Thanks! Straight Shot Gunsmithing The workmanship and fit is top notch. Your ability to oh-so-casually make a generic picatinny scope base fit the shape of action was impressive.

[​IMG]

These were groups from the very first shots out of the rifle. I was moving up in 1/2 grain increments. And I haven't played with seating depth yet. Prone with bipod and a too-soft rear bag that needs to be either replaced or filled tighter. I can already tell it's going to be a shooter. gun)

[​IMG]

The barrel is from Tracey Bartlein at Bartlein barrels Now, with only a few dozen more rounds down the tube it cleans very easily.

The brake is from Holland Guns Darrel, I have never found it so easy to spot my shots at such close ranges. Fantastic brake. Thanks so much.

The stock is a McMillan Hunter and the action is one of my favorites, a Tikka Model 658. I shot my first sort-of-long-range deer with this action years ago.

The scope is my brand new Nightforce. 5.5 to 22 X 56, Zero Stop, NPR-1 reticle. Don't have to say much about quality here when you know you're preaching to the choir. :)

I also have a Kenton Industries Tuned Trajectory Compensator turret cap. This is my second one and I am a believer. Mark, you deserve your success.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Very nice Len, looks like a good one!

Cheers.

3. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

At least this time you show a minor amount of imagination when you chose stock color.

I have been thinking about a 7 Dakota for a certain young lady if she wishes to hunt with me next year again.

4. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

Len,
    Well I guess we have not fully pulled you over to the dark side yet (specialty pistols):D

Beautiful looking rig-Enjoy it!

Is that brake Holland's new Radial one?

Never have tried a Bartlein barrel yet.

You think this rig is enough for LR coyotes in WY?;)

5. Len Backus

Ernie, yes, a radial brake. It weighs about 6 ounces.

The coyotes are in for big trouble now.

6. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

Great looking rifle Len, good luck on those yotes!

Brian

7. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

Very nice rifle and looks like a shooter!
    What bullets are you shooting and what velocity are you getting with the 7mm Dakota?

8. Len Backus

I didn't chrono it but from past experience I would say this load is at 3100. It is a Cauterucio 176 grain VLD. I have used them for about 5 years.

9. arthurj

arthurj Well-Known Member

Len, what does that rifle weigh? What contour is that Bartlein?
    Thank you

10. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Len

I love that stock it real looks great with the stainless BBL. How did Nate like working on the Tika action. That man does great work I would love to see some more pic's of Nates work. I am soooooooo jelous of you

11. Len Backus

7mm .277 x .284, 4 groove, 1-8.7499 twist, S.S.
    Bartlein #8 profile