My 300RUM by MCR

trebark,

Post us on the differences you come up with between those two brands of brass. My position is that Nosler's is much softer in the head than the Remmy's and Remmy's aren't that tough. But its all we have. Sure wish someone [as in Lapua] would make some 300 RUM cases. They sure would be sweet in a 270 AM.......

Will do.

BTW...have pressed Kevin Thomas at Lapua USA on their potential to make some RUM brass. Although he didn't see it in the near future, they did seem more open to US consumer demands. Heck, I just bought some new 260Rem Lapua brass!

Also are you neck sizing or fl sizing your brass? I started neck sizing mine and it raised the pressure so much that i had to drop my load down to the point the i was loosing accuracy, so i just went back to fl. Im assuming the problem was giving the brass less room to expand so pressure spicked when neck sized.

hmmm...this seems counterintuitive. I tend to follow the conventional wisdom and only necksize.

Less and less people are only neck sizing. I have transition to partial FL sizing all my brass. Just a .002" shoulder bump and almost immeasurable sizing on the body. Makes for much smoother feeding and accuracy has been excellent.
While I don't know the exact schools of thought behind either one, I have heard more and more from people (like Ed Shell) that they FL size every time. Also from a lot if BR guys.

This past weekend had an opportunity to do some fairly extensive testing across several different charges of Retumbo (89grains to 91) as well as Remington and Nosler brass. Overall can't be more happy with this rifle as all loads tested shot .5moa or better at 200 yards.

It was intersting to note that with like charges of Retumbo the Nosler brass shot about 40fps faster than the Remington brass.

The load that stood out:

Bullet: 208Amax
Powder Charge: 91grain Retumbo
Primer: 215M
Brass: Nosler

Average Velocity: 3138
ES = 13
Accuracy = .299moa at 200 yards

200yardtarget005.jpg

I'm glad to see the exact Mark 4 I just purchased on your rifles.

I asked everyone and read everything I could find and ended up buying a new Mark 4 with TMR.

AFTER I purchased the scope someone chimed in telling me it was not as accurate on adjustments as the others (which I couldn't afford anyways) and I was a little bit bummed.

Glad to see someone who has put so much $$ and time into some custom rifles choosing the same scope.

:)

I'm glad to see the exact Mark 4 I just purchased on your rifles.

I asked everyone and read everything I could find and ended up buying a new Mark 4 with TMR.

AFTER I purchased the scope someone chimed in telling me it was not as accurate on adjustments as the others (which I couldn't afford anyways) and I was a little bit bummed.

Glad to see someone who has put so much $$ and time into some custom rifles choosing the same scope.

:)

MK4s are on my rifles because I got a great deal on them. Now after using them for some time, I have not had any troubles with them at all and I love the TMR reticle.

From time to time I get the itch to replace the scopes with NF NXS but then I think about what else I could do with all that money. Although, one day, they will be replaced with NF NXS...

MK4s are on my rifles because I got a great deal on them. Now after using them for some time, I have not had any troubles with them at all and I love the TMR reticle.

From time to time I get the itch to replace the scopes with NF NXS but then I think about what else I could do with all that money. Although, one day, they will be replaced with NF NXS...

Trebark

I was wondering on your bases. Are those standard or 20 moa or something?

Those are Burris Double Dovetail bases (no cant). The rings are Burris Signature rings. They have offset inserts in them. I have them set up with -10 in the front and +10 in the rear for 20moa cant in the rings rather than the bases. Another great benefit of the inserts is that they are plastic and don't leave any marks on your scope. I know this because I have done the 'scope shuffle' with various rifles and none of my scopes have any rings marks on them.

Burris signature rings with inserts are SWEET! Trebark and i both have them on all of our rifles... never leave any ring marks, no lapping, and we can set just the right cant for the specific scope. Either 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 moa as we see fit. Never had a problem with them holding zero or anything either, just make sure to de-grease them COMPLETELY before installing, as i imagine that may lead to slippage.

Last week headed out to Wyoming for some longrange rifle shooting. Read all about it here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/stalking-1-mile-shot-116232/

As a result of the trip to Wyoming, and not being able to dial to 1665 yards, the scope set-up on this rifle will be changed to a 20moa canted base with weaver style Burris Signature Rings. Will set the Burris inserts to +10 or +20.

The scope on this rifle will likely be updated too. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/ (which I shoot a LOT) has a Leupold MK4 that is FFP and mil/mil. In the interest of keeping with the switch rifles and just switch horsepower theme, it seems inevitable to upgrade/change to the same scope on this rifle.

Also, recently acquired some of the new 230grain Berger hybrids (G1 BC = .743!). Will be conducting some testing with them soon. Run the ballistics on these bullets going 3000+....awesome! Will keep you updated.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.