My 270wby project

bweber

Hello all,

You may not remember me, but last spring I posted a lot about a 270wby Mark V that I was working with. Bought it used and replaced about everything except the scope and the action. I finally got it done (and shot a mulie with it) so I figured I would report back for those interested.

I ended up going whole hog and getting a 28" Krieger target barrel put on. It's not the super heavy one, but about the lightest target barrel they make. Plenty rigid for my needs. I got a Bell and Carson stock and had the smith who installed the barrel give it a super tight bedding job. I then took some padding and worked up the comb on the stock to where the scope is perfectly in line when I shoulder it.

All in all I'm very happy with it. With Weatherby factory ammo I can get it to shoot a little under an inch at 200yds (about 3/4" usually -if I haven't had too much coffee).

But the funny thing is how picky this gun is with ammo. It loves factory stuff, but I haven't found a reload that it even comes close to liking. Any reload I've tried groups well over 1.5" inches at 100yds. I'll probably work with it some this winter, more for curiosity's sake than anything. I don't really mind shooting factory, and the accuracy I'm getting is perfectly acceptable for my needs. I've just never had a gun that wouldn't shoot reloads. Usually it's the other way around. My guns won't shoot factory, but will always shoot sub-MOA once I find the right reload combo. Strange.

Anyway, the project's a success. It's a badass looking gun. I'll come back and post some pictures once I get my camera working again.

Thanks to all who made suggestions earlier.

Ben

Glad yu are happy with it.

If you have a factory throat with 0.375 freebore then for reloads try some long bearing surface bullets such as the Accubonds. The longer bearing surface may help keep the bullet better aligned so it hits the lands straingt on.

Second, if you have never reloaded for a Wby case before, watch the neck and shoulder area. It is easy to shove the neck down into the shoulder. This decreases case capacity and causes erratic pressure / velocity.

Sounds like the gun likes a minimum size case for some reason. Might try full lenght sizing versus partial or neck.

Third, despite what is inscribed on the stone tablets, Fed 215s are a not always the best primer to use with a WBY. Most times but not always. Try a few CCI or Rem and see if it settles the load down.

In my Dad's factory 270 Weatherby, 73 gr of RL 22 under a 130 Barnes X or 74 gr under a 130 gr TSX gives 3390 and 3464 fps respectively. Every load fired has been logged, and with 27 of them down the barrel, the average group is still under 1/2 MOA. About 0.42 to be exact. The TSXs just shoot a 1/2 higher. This particular rifle will not shoot 150s under 3 inches yet. I have tried RL 22, IMR 7828, IMR 4831, MagPro and AA8700. Never found a load that it will shoot with 150 gr bullets. I would like to try H1000.

Yeah, I probably should have been more specific. I've actually had a similar experience. I've had a couple of 130gr loads that shot pretty well. It's the 150s that I haven't found a good one for yet. I've wanted to shoot the heavier 150gr load, so I haven't really looked at the 130s that closely.

But I haven't done as well as 1/2 inch with the 130s, so I'll take a look at the load you mention.

Ben

My Weatherby's really like Lee Collet dies and neck sizing only. The lighter bullets do seem more accurate in mine. They all shoot better than 1/2 with certain loads. Try some 130 grain triple shocks with a 74 grains of MR-7828 to start. It ought to get them out around 3500 to 3600 at a max load with the longer 28" barrel and it out to be tight shooting. Minimum load with the 7828 is 70 grains. Just seat to the magazine box whatever feeds well. For the same bullet Barnes with RL-25 it calls out 73.5 min and 78.5 max. Both these powders really turn it on in the longer barrels. When my Accumarks grow up they are all getting 30" barrels.

Let's see some pictures. I go crazy over tricked out Weatherby's.

BTW. I was reading your old posts. I have not had any trouble getting super fine sub 16 ounce triggers out of any Mark 5. No creep or spongyness here.

Oh baby! Now that is one sweet looking ride. Very nice. I don't think it will ever shoot. Better to just dump it on me and cut your losses. It would look very nice in the safe next to my Accumarks.
257Accumark.jpg

Hey, looks like great minds think alike -and so do ours!

I gotta admit I like that long barrel. Being a big guy I don't really mind lugging a 9lb rifle around for a while. And boy, when you go to shoot it is it ever nice to have that extra forward weight.

BTW -How do you do that where you just insert the image into your message? I couldn't figure it out, so I just put em up on one of my servers (which is probably the harder way to go).

Ben

Leave them on the server and then insert the http address into the box that the instant (Image) code button below produces.

[image]http://address-insert here[/image]

Then press okay and preview it to see if it turns out. Your pictures are pretty big. I like that though. Especially when it's a picture of a fine looking rifle.

I knew you could do it. Now to get the size down to something like 600x800 saved on the server. I don't mind the big ones as I have a fast connection but some site will delete a piuc that big because they take a long time to load.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.