My 260 by MCR

Anymore time to work on VLD loads?

Yes. Although I haven't been able to do extensive testing with multiple powders, I did try some different primers. I was surprised to find that identical powder charges lit by Fed210 and a Fed210M would give such dramatically different results. Using identical charges, the Fed210M showed real pressure signs where the Fed210 did not. Anyway, here's the load I will use for this deer season....

Bullet: 140grain VLD
Charge and Powder: 44grains RL17
Primer: Fed210
Velocity: 3017 ES=15
Average Accuracy: .585moa

Try runnig these numbers in exbal! fantastic long-range ballistics!

target3.jpg
target2.jpg
target1.jpg
target4.jpg

The VLDs regularly vex me in that all of these are three shot groups and you will notice that several of the groups have two shots in virtually the same hole. Then it throws one round slightly out of the group. If I could find what it is that throws the last round out of the group, this would be a <.25moa load. From a previous post, I may try the Fiocchi primers.

Any thoughts on improving VLD accuracy?

What made you decide to go with a 260? I'm also thinking about building a 260.

Trebark, I have the same issue with 168 VLD's with my 7mm STW two touching, then one slightly off. Very similar to the groups you pictured!

What made you decide to go with a 260? I'm also thinking about building a 260.

Barrel life. This is my go-to rifle and will see the most action. So it was important to me to choose a caliber that would provide long barrel life.

Turns out I can push the 140s at 3000fps anyway! So maybe best of both worlds...speed/power AND barrel life?? I hope!

Trebark, I have the same issue with 168 VLD's with my 7mm STW two touching, then one slightly off. Very similar to the groups you pictured!

I have not found the solution yet and the problem seems to be with many people that I know that shoot the VLDs. I have a buddy with a 308 - he shoots the 190VLD, I have a 280Rem shooting the 168VLD and my 260 shooting the 140. That's a 6.5mm, 7mm and 7.62mm and all of them do the same thing.....put two bullets in about the same hole and throw one bullet out of the group.

I do all the brass prep....uniform primer pockets, deburr flash holes, neck-turn, trim to length.

I do all the right reloading steps.....meticulously weigh each charge, seat bullets with a Redding Competition Seating Die. I also use a Hornady OAL gauge so I know exactly where my lands/grooves are with every bullet I shoot. With the seating die I seat each bullet .005" off the lands. Each round is measured with dial caliper and Hornady Comparator. And each bullet is seated at exactly the same depth (for testing, .001 variance in seating depth is not tolerated)

Yet the 'problem' persists.

If anybody knows the voodoo to correct this problem, please let me know!

trebark,

I have the same problem with the 140 berger's in my 260. I tried a lot of different things and could not get rid of the flyer. I recently got a box of 120 gr. a-maxs and they shoot in the same hole,no more flyers. I am getting .25 moa groups at 100yards. Hope to get out this weekend and shoot at long range.

trebark,

I have the same problem with the 140 berger's in my 260. I tried a lot of different things and could not get rid of the flyer. I recently got a box of 120 gr. a-maxs and they shoot in the same hole,no more flyers. I am getting .25 moa groups at 100yards. Hope to get out this weekend and shoot at long range.

deer season here in VA is about to end. Soon I will be back to working on the VLD issue. I will be doing my best to resolve the problem as the BC of the 140 is awesome.

Next stop for the 260 will be a sniper match. Will shoot 142SMK load in the match.

deer season here in VA is about to end. Soon I will be back to working on the VLD issue. I will be doing my best to resolve the problem as the BC of the 140 is awesome.

Next stop for the 260 will be a sniper match. Will shoot 142SMK load in the match.

Trebark,

I'll be hunting does in Fauquier county til March! My deer season is still rolling!

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.