My 1st Bear

LawShark

Went to Maine to hunt black bear.

After sitting in a stand for over 4hours, a blacky came in. For 45 mins the bear walked around, layed down, left and came back repeatedly. Finally with a 3 mins of light left it finally came into the bait barrel but never stopped, made a 45 degree turn and headed straight for me. I knew it was a 200 lb bear forsure so i took the only shot I had. And drilled it in the head with my 30-06 220grain CoreLok bullet. By the time i put the gun down I needed a flashlight to see the bear on the ground. No long range shot, but I got my first bear.:D

Mine is on the right and came in at 235 and was a boar.

Attachments

• DSCF5089.jpg
    DSCF5089.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 104
Congratulations on you firs bear! Long range it's not, but I started with a 30-06 and 220 grain Remingtons. I find myself looking for reasons to circle back and use them. It always perks me up to see somebody get a little old school once in awhile:)

I am going a rug. He measured 5.5 nose to tail and had a nice fall coat. I'll take pics of it in 6-8 months.

I retrieved the bullet and it retained most of it's weight. My father went with me on the trip and shot his with 180 grain but the corelok bullets he used were from the 60's. The box is an antique. LOL. Old school works

Some guy from NC. It was a sow that weighed in at 120. Which is actually the ME avg weight for bear. It was a young one though as it never had cubs but its coat made up for it. :rolleyes:

There were others sows shot at 140 and 157 lbs and were much bigger in length and had prior cubs.

Thank you. He tastes good too.:D Even my 4 and 7 yr old love it, to the point where they ask for seconds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.