My '10 Bear

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by roadhunter, Oct 22, 2010.

1. roadhunter

roadhunter Well-Known Member

I managed to shoot a nice western Oregon black bear this week. Had about an 80 yard off hand shot. Unfortunately it was facing me and lightly uphill. I was hoping to hit it the left side of the chest and shoulder but the bullet struck just under the left eye...........needless to say no tracking necessary. She was a dried up sow and measured 5" 6" nose to tail and I estimated weight at 275-300 lbs. Has a very cool white patch on the chest. My buddy got the same bear on trail camera a week before.

I shot her with a Remington model 7 in 7mm SAUM with a 160 Accubond at 2900 fps. This is the second animal I've taken with the handy little rifle and it's a thumper!

Later,

RH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nfhjr62

nfhjr62 Well-Known Member

So what are you going to do with it, mount it or make a rug/bed spred Oh" by the way you baged a nice bear

3. roadhunter

I already have nice rug from a cinnamon bear I killed four years ago in eastern Oregon, so I am thinking about a half life mount that will show off that white patch. Maybe coming out of the wall paws up showing some teeth, or maybe climbing up something......I don't yet. I need to search some sites to get some ideas.

4. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Ill admit when I read it was a sow I wasnt thinking "this is gonna be a nice bear", then I finished reading the post, and got to the pic, and all I have to say is WOW!
    Thats a very nice trophy. Body confirmation is good as well. Should make for a great full size, 3/4 size or even a shoulder mount. Very nice bear. Congrats

5. roadhunter

Thanks man! I could not believe how fat she was. This is my first fall bear so I'm not sure if this normal, but there was literally 3-4 inches of fat on the low back and hams.

6. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Nice kill and nice bear. Blackies are among my favorites to hunt.

7. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

Congratulations! That's a good looking bear.

8. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Nice bear, this is my kids spring bear, we where out very early for high country. 350 YRD. 325 wsm,#3 he loves bear hunting[​IMG]

9. roadhunter

Right on! I love to see kids that are into huntin. My son shot his first bear and first deer two years ago. A great experience to see your son or daughter be succesfull!

RH

10. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

Hey Roadhunter,
    very nice bear. They are my favorite critter to hunt. I have taken 6 now but only one with the white on the chest. That bear is the only thing I have ever killed with a bow. I was sitting on a waterhole with my wife. He came into about 35 yards and I thumped him. Killed 4 in the spring and 2 in the fall. Can't wait for April.
    Good job, Kirk