Muzzleloader Cleaning

I usually have to clean mine after each use. I use triple seven and it's fairly dirty powder but cleans up easy with boiling water. I do have some blackhorn 209 I'm wanting to try. I hear it doesn't foul near as bad as t7 but would still need to be cleaned after shooting just not between shots.

OK, Thanks,
I guess I meant, how many shots to you go through before the ML should be cleaned.

I usually take to range, shoot 5 to 10 shots and clean at the range, just out of habit.
However in the field, if you shoot 2, 3 times (not as good as many on here) then I would assume at the end of the day it should be cleaned...but perhaps not in the field after that few a shots. Just wondered how many shots in the field before it is less than accurate and should be cleaned.
Mighty Mike

With t7 powder I run a wet patch then a dry patch between each shot. I have shot a dozen rounds or so at a time before cleaning with solvent. my barrel shoots better with some fouling anyway. With BH209 I have heard of people shooting many rounds without swabbing, then just clean later.

Mightyman,

I shoot BH209 and have shot over 30 rounds at targets without any change in P.O.I. However, after a sesion on the range, I always clean the rifle.

When hunting, I ALWAYS foul the barrel with two shots and hunt the complete season/s, regardless of the number of deer harvested or, times shot. The only exception would be, if I fell in a creek or got caught in a down pour. But please understand, this is with BH209 and not Pyrodex or T7. Prior to BH209 becoming available, it was very different except for the fouling shots.

Thanks to all of you for the great responses on cleaning.

I use Triple & now, and may try the BH209 before season. I saw it online and the many benefits, but does it just come in powder and not pellets?
Thanks
MM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.