muzzlebreak that reduces flip??

larryaguilar

Which muzzlebreak would you recommend
to reduce the "jump" - so that I could see the bullet impact. A break the would recoil straight back would be perfect.
confused.gif

Good luck finding one. I have an Ops Inc. It's awesome at reducing recoil. The muzzle still jumps though. What I've learned is that if I don't move my head after a shot that the rifle scope will settle back on the target after the shot and I can see bullet impact. Of course to see impact, the target needs to be beyond about 300 Yds or the scope isn't back on target in time.

Look for a break that only has vents pointing out the top and sides. That will help your dust print as well.

Larryaguilar,

I use Holland QD brakes on all my custom rifles or any big game rifles my customers want a brake fitted to for the exact reason you state.

For example, I harvested a nice whitetail buck this season with a rifle I built for my wife in 257 STW. The load used the 130 gr Bonded Core FBHP from Wildcat bullets loaded to 3500 fps.

The buck was walking a fence line at just under 300 yards so I wanted him on the ground at the impact.

He was facing directly at me and I put the crosshairs 3" below his white throat patch and touched the big 25 off.

I was shooting off 8x with the Weaver Tactical 4.5-14x and I saw the bullet impact and the big bucks four legs fold up under his belly and he fell to the ground.

This is why I use Holland QD brakes.

Now the 257 STW does not generate alot of recoil, roughly the same level as a very heavy loaded 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag, at least with these big 130 gr pills.

Still in the 9.5 lb rifle, without the brake installed the rifle is pretty lively. Not heavy recoil, just lively after the shot. The Holland QD stops this movement instantly.

I also feel proper shooting technique will help you see your impact as stated before. If your shooting position is level and solid, the rifle will return very close to the place it was for the shot.

Of course, with the Holland, most rifles simply will not move.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I also use a Holland QD brake on my 300 RUM. Its a lightweight Stainless Savage 116 and the brake makes it feel like a 308. It did take me some time to index it perfectly such that the holes were at the 12:00 position though. Very highly recommended.

The problem is that I have a lathe in my barn, now all my hunting buddies want me to install a Holland on there rifles also. Sucks to be me.

Ronnie

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts