Muzzlebrakes

G

What affect besides less recoil and more noise does a muzzle break give a barrel. I'm kind of new at this LRH but trying to catch up fast so forgive my ignorance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif But what I'm getting at is this. Does a Muzzle break that is 2"s long increase your barrel performance like a 2" longer barrel would or dosen't it make any differance in the barrels volocity. I'm sorry if its a dumb question but I tried to find something somewhere on the board that pertained to this and found nothing.

The added length of the brake does not do any thing positive for velocity so no your not gonna see any increase with any style brake.
The brake simply redirects the gases that are leaving the muzzel out to the sides so it helps reduce the rearward thrust.
Generaly speaking the higher the capacity the cartridge has the more effective the brake is ,you have to look at the precentages on the recoil , Like a Holland brake will be more effective at reducing X% of recoil on a 300RUM than on a 308Win. In the end the 308 will probably kick less because it started out with way less but you may actualy only get a 35% reduction out of the smaller 308 than with say a 65% in the 300RUM.

If this make no sense I'll repost tomorrow , I've had a couple drinks tonight.

Made perfect sense JD. Answered my question thats been in my mind ever since I bought my two new rifles. Holland is also the brake that I have been looking at so I"m more than happy with the answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The Holland brake is a good one but their are several others out their that work as well maybe better for about the same price and a little more user friendy to your barrel fit.
Shawn Carlock makes some brakes and from what I understand those are what he and Kirby are using exclusivly. I'm having 308Nate build me a 260 right now and I'm having him put his brake on it , not that this caliber is gonna need it but his brake sure looks cool.

Not only will a properly designed brake reduce felt recoil but it will also dramatically reduce muzzle jump. In some cases totally eliminate muzzle jump when the rifle fires. THis allows you to stay on target and spot your own shots which is extremely valuable to the LR shooter.

Things to keep in mind with muzzle brakes. These are general comments but in most cases stand true. The smaller the bore of the rifle the more effective the brake will be.

The larger the case capacity, the higher the muzzle pressure will be and the more effective the brake will work at decreasing felt recoil.

Combine the two, a smaller bore with large case capacity and you will have alot more muzzle pressure and the brake will work extremely well.

For instance my 257 Allen Mag with a 156 gr bullet at 3300 fps. THis is the same recoil class as a 7mm RUM in same rifle weights but when fitted with a Holland or Defensive Edge muzzle brake recoil of these rifles is about that of a varmint rifle in 22-250, they simply do not recoil.

Parition style brakes such as the Defensive Edge and Holland are more effective at reducing recoil but because of this they also will produce a more intense muzzle blast impression. There are no trade offs here. The more effective the brake design works, the louder it will be in most cases.

With todays electronic hearing protection devices, there really is no reason not to get a brake because of increased noise in my opinion.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ok so this is my take on the answers. I have two identical rifles but of differant calibers that I'm thinking of having breaks put on. #1 a .25-06AI and the other is a .300RUM. Both of these have 26" Hart #5 contour barrels S.S. From what I can tell both will greatly benifit from having breaks installed but the MB will be a lot higher. I usually hunt with ear plugs anyway so no problem on that. Trying to save what hearing I have left anyway. Well it looks like some type of MB is in the near future as seeing hits would be nice instead of trying to find the scope again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I just had a Holland installed on a factory sporter in 7 RM and I can see my own shots trhough a 20x scope at all ranges. It pretty much got rid of ALL the muzzle flip. I did shoot it once just to see how loud it was w/out earmuffs. Let me say I had a precussion type headache for almost 2 days.

[ QUOTE ]
If this make no sense I'll repost tomorrow , I've had a couple drinks tonight

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me the way to go home , I'm tired an I wanna go to bed , I had a coupla drinks about a hour ago an they went right to my head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim B.

I am new to this board. I have got a Remington 700 BDL in 300 winchester magnum, I would like to put a brake on it but which one,where can I ship my barrel to?

One other thing to consider is how the rifle will be used. If shooting prone you don't want a brake with ports on the bottom. You will get hit with @**!!!T

Go to brownells.com type in muzzel brakes look at the Que Industries adjustable muzzle brake You can install it Your self with just a heat gun. browning arms co. bought the rights to this break if You want to see how it works go to there web site and they have a short video on it they call it the Boss System

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.