Muzzlebrake On/Off Point of Impact?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by ovastafford, Nov 26, 2009.

1. ovastafford

ovastafford Well-Known Member

I was curious if you sight in and practice on the range with your brake on and say when you go hunting you take it off. Would it change your point of impact? I know the bullet never touches the brake but still does it change anything?

2. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

It could change the POI and likely would, due to the loss of weight on the end of the barrel. You could have a thread protector made the same weight as the muzzle brake and then with that screwed on the end of the barrel the rifle might hit to same POI.

You'd have to shoot the rifle with the brake, and without the brake, to get your answer and be certain about it.

3. ovastafford

ovastafford Well-Known Member

Im kinda scared to try... Its a 7 pound 300RUM with scope...gun)

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

It that case just leave it on and invest in some quality muffs.:)

5. Ring

Ring Well-Known Member

it changed mine ALOT.. i had a 24" heavy AR threaded for a suppressor, for fun i threw on a 3 gill armalite brake, it threy me off by well over 1.5 ft at 200y

6. jeff 300

jeff 300 Well-Known Member

Why would you do that any way?????????

7. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

My comp gun last year printed 1.5 moa right and .5 moa high without the brake at 1K. Same gun this year, new BBL....no change.

Go figure!!!

8. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

About an inch to 1.5 inches change in impact is what I have observed. I have not tried it with different bullets to see if it is constant or varies with different bullets.

9. RFears

RFears Well-Known Member

That answers my question on Brake or no brake, my conclusion s no brake myself.....