Muzzle tape?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by jmden, Nov 8, 2006.

1. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Hi,

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this so I apologize if this has been chewed on before.

What happens to a bullet when it contacts a thickness of electrical tape at the end of the muzzle? A piece of regular scotch tape?

What do you folk use to keep debris out of your muzzle when in thick country?

Thank you!

2. cinch

cinch Well-Known Member

I use a balloon as it will also keep pine needles out of your muzzle brake.

3. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Any POI changes when you shoot throught it, or do you always remove it before shooting?

I'm looking for something that will keep debris out but not change my POI for those split second shots in the trees (at least not change POI much at all as most of those quick shots are 100yds or less).

4. Festus

Festus Well-Known Member

I'm no authority but I don't believe the bullet makes contact with the tape. The barrel is full of air and when the bullet starts moving down the bore this air is compressed and forced out the muzzle ahead of the bullet. This will push the tape out of the path of the bullet before the bullet exits the muzzle. If I have it wrong there are many here who will correct me.

Festus

5. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

+1 with Festus. Some one actually makes "barrel condoms" small diameter rubber sleeves that slide over one's muzzle for just what you are talking about. You can go to a large drug store and ask for "finger cots". They are the same thing, only usually white or clear in color. Hope this helps.
    God Bless and good shootin'
    Jim

6. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

I tape my muzzle with either electrician's tape or duct tape. I also believe the air blows it clear before any contact with the bullet. Have tested this on the range and absolutely no accuracy change. I wrap one length over the muzzle, with extra tape on each side going down the barrel an inche or so. Then another wrap at ninety degrees around the overhanging tape to hold it well.

Also wrap six inches or so about midpoint on your barrel, then you have some spare tape in case you shoot. You can cut off some and replace to protect the bore after a shot.

I have used the little balloons and rubbers and they don't stay on as good as tape.

7. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Ian, that's exactly what I've been doing, but for some reason starting questioning a bit lately. Thanks for the confirmation.