Muzzle porting

ZRT1000

My dad is up in years and is looking to get some porting done on his .338 win..
The rifle is a Browning SS with a 26" barrel so he wants to get it ported so not to add length to the barrel. Who else does this besides manaport? ..thanks

I would much rather see him get a brake installed, it will be VASTLY superior to any porting at reducing recoil. If you port a barrel properly, you have to inside ream the bore precisely and then port the barrel. In effect you will loose 1" to 1.5" of barrel length. Plus you will not be effective at reducing recoil.

Even if you take off 1.5" of barrel length and fit a quality partition style brake, you will get the same performance with MUCH better recoil control.

In reality the velocity drop from loosing 1.5" of barrel length in a rifle chambered for a 338 WM, would be meaningless, I would say less then 25 to 30 fps drop in velocity, totally meaningless and you would get much better recoil control with a quality brake.

Just my opinion. I correct dozens of rifles a year that have been ported and do not do much to control recoil, After fitting a quality brake, the owners are DRAMATICALLY happier with their rifles. They just wish they had done the brake first.

Kirby Allen(50)

I would definitely use a good brake over Mag-Na-Port any day. Since it is a hunting rig I would also prefer a solid-bottomed brake like Shawn's DE or Holland's QD.

listen to kirby and XP they know what there talking about . i shot my 300 rum 2 times and went to the smith for a brake . when i got it back i put 40 down the tube in one long day at the range it made a world of difference

JIM

Magnaport

Hi i had a 308 magnaported years ago and it was a total waste off money it made it louder when shooting out off a stationary vehicle. I have recently fitted my own muzzle break in front off the magnaporting it is similar in design to a JP and now in the lightweight 308 you can spot hits when shooting off hand the break and porting work very well togethor. The Magnaporting does not back bore the barrel they use Wire EDM machines to remove the molecular structure of the barrel without damaging any surfaces left behind and they do not leave any burs. The rifle shot just as accurately befor as after and the velocity loss was almost none.

So would i get another barrel ported NO fit a good muzzle break it is must more effective and cheeper in the long run. HAve a look at 308Nate's muzzle breaks they are called SSG Vaporizer breaks and fit on the barrel without having a large oversize break on the end if that is the reason for porting.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Thanks .. I had a 375 h&h ported by a local smith and it did nothing but make it louder, I thought maybe my smith did something wrong but it seems the brake is the way to go.
Kirby what brake do you use? ..
I will let dad know and see what he wants to do.. Thanks again

Kirby,
Please correct if I am wrong:
Kirby will use the Defensive Edge or Holland's Quick Discharge. For large diameter barrels he has one he makes himself

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.