Muzzle Energy question...

Bowhunter57

I'm shooting a .25-06 and I notice with the lighter 75gr. and 87gr. bullets' muzzle energy is around the 1800 ft./lbs. area @ 3300 f.p.s. This is my prefered bullet weight for coyotes and groundhogs. The lighter bullet weights combined with faster speeds and "ballistic tip" styled bullets allow me to kill everything without concerns of bullet skips or ricochets.

Having said that... I notice that a 100gr. or 115gr. bullet weights produce a much higher ft./lbs. of energy and not a huge speed/trajectory loss. An approx. 2400 ft./lbs. with a 115gr. bullet @ 3100 f.p.s. would definately put a dent in the fur of a coyote. :)

My question is about fragmentation. I run the lighter weight bullets fast enough so that if I miss or when the bullet hits its' intended target, it will fragment and not skip or ricochet. Would it be more difficult to expect the same fragmentation from a heavier bullet?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

I'd stick with the lighter bullets for the small critters. The heavier BT's tend to have thicker walls to do a bit more penetrating than the lighter bullets.

I'm shooting a .25-06 and I notice with the lighter 75gr. and 87gr. bullets' muzzle energy is around the 1800 ft./lbs. area @ 3300 f.p.s. This is my prefered bullet weight for coyotes and groundhogs. The lighter bullet weights combined with faster speeds and "ballistic tip" styled bullets allow me to kill everything without concerns of bullet skips or ricochets.

Having said that... I notice that a 100gr. or 115gr. bullet weights produce a much higher ft./lbs. of energy and not a huge speed/trajectory loss. An approx. 2400 ft./lbs. with a 115gr. bullet @ 3100 f.p.s. would definately put a dent in the fur of a coyote. :)

My question is about fragmentation. I run the lighter weight bullets fast enough so that if I miss or when the bullet hits its' intended target, it will fragment and not skip or ricochet. Would it be more difficult to expect the same fragmentation from a heavier bullet?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Heaver bullets are made for larger game and have thicker jackets for thicker skin , Except the
match Bullets. so if you want to shoot heaver bullets you might try match kings or something
like them.

The heaver bullets will tend to ricochet more than lighter bullets that have thinner jackets and are designed to expand and run at higher velocity.

If you could run some of the heaver bullets at the same velocity they would fragment easier
but would still tend to bounce/ricochet.

Stay with the lighter bullets for varmints as miller said.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you, for the replies, gentlemen! :) I'll stay with the lighter bullet weights and be happy. I'd forgotten about the thicker walls on heavier bullets. :rolleyes:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.